Using Org Policy to change default project creator role?

glen_yu
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi,

I am looking to change the default role of the project creator in GCP.  By default, when user creates a project they become the owner.  What I want to do is change the default so that it is Editor or some custom role (essentially, not owner).   If I'm understanding this description correctly that's doable and I can only think of the changing something like this within an org policy, however I don't see this listed in the list of org policy constraints 

Am I missing something?

EDIT:  perhaps I'm misunderstanding it and it means to say that by default the role is roles/owner, but it can be changed *afterwards* to something less via IAM ...?  This seems to be the most likely explanation.  Can a Googler confirm?

Thanks,

GY

Solved Solved
0 1 437
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, the assumption in your edit is right, and the reason why you can only change the role afterwards is that, by default, the project creator only has, lets say, a viewer role; then nothing could be created in that project, no resources, no users, etc.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Yes, the assumption in your edit is right, and the reason why you can only change the role afterwards is that, by default, the project creator only has, lets say, a viewer role; then nothing could be created in that project, no resources, no users, etc.