Table calculations of totals and row totals?

Question:

In past I know that table calculations weren’t allowed for totals. See [RETIRED]Why don't my table calculations have totals? .

I don’t quite see why table calculations couldn’t simply work on total rows in the same way they work on regular rows. Is it because some table calculation formulas would work on regular rows but return misleading results on total rows? I could see the mixing of null and non-null values being tricky for calculations using mean() and others, but SQL has the same issues and deals with them. Admittedly, sometimes the way SQL deals with them is very confusing to users and I could imagine that Looker would prefer to err on the side of caution.

Or has this changed?

Thanks!

7 56 15K
56 REPLIES 56

S_Ng

It’s hard to believe that I’ve been following this thread for 3 years and the original question/request was posted 4 years ago but there is still no solution.

Would be keen to get Looker’s view on why it has not been prioritized. My business users frequently work with the Table viz and the totals are all showing zeros. It’s taken me 3 years to motivate them to transition from Excel reporting to Looker reporting but we seem to have fallen at the last hurdle. They are already looking to go back to Excel which is such a shame because we have spent the last 3 years building this momentum.

Man this thread is old.. not sure if this would work:

Table calculation:

sum(sum(pivot_row( __ )))

+1. Similar to others, I’m trying to get people away from using Excel but this limitation is making it difficult.

+1 to others. Why do Table Calcs not show Row Totals in a Column Table Viz? 

+1, if it makes any difference..

+1 same situations as all others who have commented on this thread in the past 4 years.  Is there any update on a solution here or am I missing something?

+1 on this

Hello everyone. Same situation here, would like to have a way to get the total row of a table calculation. Thank you!

+1

We are still waiting for a solution!!!!

• + 1 to this, really need this!

Work around to get the row total of a table calculation, assuming the table calculation is based off measures

1. Get the row total of the source measure fields
  2. Create a table calculation on top of these row totals

if we found workarounds, you should be able to create a solution for this…

+1 to this

+1

Adding a +1 in hopes this gets prioritized.

Adding a +1 in hopes this gets prioritized

Has this been done ? 

Top Labels in this Space