AppSheet Community Roundup: August 2022

Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to our monthly Community Roundup series! Check out our latest news and upcoming events, along with new Community feature updates.

Roderick_G_0-1663006540836.png

Top Contributors in August

We love to see how many of you are eager to participate in Community discussions. Let’s take a quick look at who contributed the most by replies authored and topics published in the month of August. Meet our top five contributors:

Thank you to @Steve  for continuing to be a top contributor of solutions within the AppSheet Community and @Suvrutt_Gurjar & @SkrOYC who remain in the top three for sharing love (likes) this month! 

Are you ready to become our next top contributor? Learn all about how to contribute to the Community here.

Top five conversations in August

Here are our most popular discussions in the AppSheet Community over the past month:

Looking for more topics and discussions? Visit the AppSheet Q&A or Tips & Tricks forums to join the conversation or start something new.

Community Feature Updates in August

The Community team continues to work hard to improve the Community based on your valuable feedback. Below is an overview of the recent updates to our Community features. Let us know what you think of these updates with a comment below! We’d love to hear from you.

Community Platform Updates

Improving the functionality of our community platform remains a priority for the Community Team including site performance, enhancing features, and bug fixes. 

Members can now Highlight to quote in threads, subscribe to labels and we have increased the limits on sending personal messages between members. 

Beyond participating in the public Q&A forums, we know how important it is for members to connect with each other through direct, personal messages within the community. Based on your feedback, members may now send two private messages per 30 seconds, ten private messages per 10 mins and 30 private messages per 60 mins. 

Roderick_G_1-1663006850720.png

Please continue to share feedback on your experience in the AppSheet Community! 

Stay in the Know

Stay up-to-date with the latest AppSheet announcements, including platform updates, new features, and Community news.

Get Engaged!

As we continue to develop and expand the AppSheet Community offerings, your feedback is essential. We invite Community Members to engage through activities such as:

• Regular events, including Office Hours, where members connect to learn about how others have used AppSheet to create apps that streamline their work
  • Community-sourced resources, tips, and knowledge-sharing on the forums
  • Member discussions with Q&A amongst peers and Googlers

Do you have ideas of ways the community can serve our members better? We’re all ears! 

AppSheet App Jam: Step-by-step getting started guide for new users

Roderick_G_2-1663006915503.png

The AppSheet Community recently came together for the first ever App Jam - a live, guided session taking you step-by-step through building an app in the AppSheet platform. Thanks to everyone who was able to join us!

In this post, we share the recording/live demonstration and the steps listed out for you to follow along. By following these steps, you will:

• Build an intermediate-level app
  • Gain experience with many fundamental skills used in the AppSheet platform
  • Gain the knowledge needed to create a wide range of useful apps to enhance your business

Get started!

In case you missed it: AppSheet Office Hours on App Lifecycle Management

Roderick_G_3-1663007021726.png

On August 4th, we held AppSheet Office Hours focused on app lifecycle management. In case you missed it, check out the recording to hear best practices and recommendations for managing your apps from idea to impact, including:

• The key stages of app lifecycle management
  • Managing end users and app collaborators
  • Managing app versions and upgrades

Check out the recording

Recap Post Coming Soon!

Now in Preview: New UI design for desktop users

This past month, @Arthur_Rallu  shared that we’re now previewing AppSheet’s new visual design for applications that are accessed on desktop browsers. Check out the announcement post for all the details and to provide your feedback!

Roderick_G_4-1663007106374.png

App Template of the Month: PTO & Sick Day Tracking

Roderick_G_5-1663007134202.png

As many of you are closing out the Summer, and preparing to either welcome or tolerate cooler weather, we’re also gearing up for a busy season of back to back holidays, Flu Season and much needed family holidays! 

The PTO Tracker allows teams to capture when team members will be out of office. It allows employees to login and share when they will be out. The outages are displayed in both a calendar view and a table view. This simple tracker enables teams to have visibility of employee outages, differentiating between planned vacations and sick days to ensure teams can plan for coverage. 

Copy & customize the app template here!

Community Tip of the Month

One of the most popular aspects of the AppSheet Community are all the tips and tricks members share with each other. Thank you for continuing to share your knowledge, aha moments, and recommendations as they go a long way in helping your fellow app creators unlock the power of AppSheet.  

Current User (Slice) | How to conform your app around WHO is using the app

This month, we wanted to highlight this tip from @MultiTech on how to personalize the experience for those using your apps. Though this thread was initially shared in December of 2020, it continues to be a regularly accessed resource with more than 6,000 views and counting! 

Roderick_G_6-1663007178998.png

In this thread, @MultiTech takes members step-by-step through requirements, setup and even use cases! Check it out and don't forget to share your appreciation by liking the post, adding a comment and subscribing to the thread so you won’t miss updates. 😀 

Product Updates and Release Notes

Here’s an overview of AppSheet product updates and enhancements over the past month. To stay up-to-date with the latest, make sure you subscribe to Release Notes

Roderick_G_7-1663007281570.png

• The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. Learn how to participate in the AppSheet preview program for app client features.
  • When using the Apigee data source, you can now send custom headers with all requests to Apigee when using the API key authorization type. View Announcement
  • The desktop UI had a string "Previous" that has been changed to "Prev," which is already in our localization list. Fixed an issue with actions not being displayed in the desktop UI (preview) when accessed via a Chart view. View Announcement
  • A new and improved My Apps page is now available, enabling you to quickly access apps using a more consistent interface, similar to Google Drive. View Announcement

For the complete and most up-to-date details on product updates, see the Release Notes forum here

Get Ready For Next '22! 

Registration is now open. Join us October 11-13 

Roderick_G_8-1663007335566.png

Tomorrow starts today. Join us live online along with one million builders, dreamers, and leaders for Google Cloud Next '22 where we can learn and grow together to meet tomorrow head on.

Register now for online programming and the opportunity to attend in-person events - all registration is complimentary! Plus, stay tuned for future announcements including specific sessions, speakers, and engagement opportunities. 

You’ll soon notice a new face in the AppSheet Community!

Roderick_G_9-1663007502679.png

Roderick Griner (he/him) recently joined the Google Cloud Community Team as one of our Community Managers. While new to our team, he’s no stranger to user communities. He will be working closely with the AppSheet Community to enhance the experience and programming for our members. He believes that healthy customer communities should be member-led and looks forward to listening and learning from all of you! 

Thank you to all our Community members who continue to make this space an engaging and informative place to be. If you have any feedback, please feel free to add your thoughts to the Community Feedback forum here or add a comment directly to this post.

Make sure you don't miss out on the latest Community news, activities, or opportunities by subscribing to News & Announcements. To do so, go to the Announcements page and click on the blue button that says "Subscribe." You can also learn more about how to manage your subscriptions and notifications in this article here.

Thanks everyone. Until next time!

The Google Cloud Community Team

9 17 1,068
17 REPLIES 17

Lauren_vdv
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love it! Thanks @Roderick 

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I feel like it's inappropriate to keep including me in the top posters since I am paid to participate. Can you omit me in the future?

I disagree.

I think everyone on the community love reading your posts and answers 😄

In my opinion you deserve being mentionned, maybe separately, but definitely being mentionned as top contributor 😁

Noted, thanks Steve! 

@Steve you are absolute gem!...😁😂🤣

@Roderick welcome.....it great to see capacity is growing in the investment of Appsheet and this Community.
All the best!
I sure you are going to be "hitting the ground running" ....I might be a "SMALL" cause of this....sorry!😁😏 

Appsheet has always been a platform that "listens" vs just "hearing" and will continue to grow .....of which the community is the best place to learn and gro. 

Not at all! I'm am TOTALLY here for the feedback! We're definitely working behind the scenes (stay tuned 🤐) to make this Community not just a place where you all can find valuable AppSheet support and rally around each other, but we want the overall experience to be clean & accessible. 

Keep the feedback coming! 

Welcome @Roderick to the community.

Some of us can be a little harsh sometimes but we push the platform for the better.
Hope you get experience with AppSheet and not just community management since we need community managers to understand our needs

Again, welcome to this place, hope you find this to be a warm place

Thanks so much for the welcome @SkrOYC! Candid feedback is welcomed and appreciated -- even when it's a little harsh! 😉 

Welcome, @Roderick! Looking forward to continued effectiveness and continuous improvement in this community that app creators depend on.

Thanks so much, @dbaum

@Roderick wrote:

Check out the recap post that includes Q&A

This link to a recap of the Lifecycle Management session goes to a post about the App Jam session: "AppSheet App Jam: Step-by-step getting started guide for new users".

Good catch! I removed the link and we'll share the recap once it's finished. 

Hi @Roderick ,

Welcome to the community and best wishes.  Thank you for publishing the latest newsletter. It helps in getting to know happenings in the AppSheet world. 

May I also request you to unpin the July newsletter and pin the latest August newsletter? I believe the pinned posts appear at the top of the section posts? Currently the July newsletter is appearing above the August newsletter.

Suvrutt_Gurjar_0-1663134574101.png

Thanks for catching this @Suvrutt_Gurjar! Updated.  

Hello @Roderick welcome to the community!

Thanks 

Hey! @Roderick any chance someone from google might notice there is this section of the community called "Feature Ideas"? Not to be harsh but I think many of us have spent hours pouring information into that section and then to have it just completely ignored for years is quite disheartening.  It would be awesome to see some activity from the google side of things in that section. 

If google has no plans of using that section of the community can someone just delete it and stop giving us false hope. 

Hmm maybe I just came up with my next Feature Idea....