Will a way to disable downloads for all files in drive ever be added?

Hi over the last few days I have made an attempt to try and lock down Google Drive as much as possible so that my end users will only be able to browse and view all files in drive using Google Workspace. However I noticed there isn't any sort of way to disable users downloading any files after they are shared even as an admin. I would've hoped this feature would be a thing by now but it is still not. In my present situation I am trying to allow end users to view already shared Google drive links (these files were not shared by me however I cannot altar them because the links are tied to a custom app that I do not have access to edit).

The reason why I want this kind of feature is because these specific end users will be viewing very sensitive files that shouldn't be able to be downloaded however to my dismay there isn't a way to disable users being able to download files through drive in general which is nothing short of disappointing. This brings me back to my initial question of will there ever be a way to disable downloads for all files on drive or just a way to lock down Google Drive in general so that it can be used solely for file viewing?

0 1 1,560
1 REPLY 1

Google Drive doesn't provide this functionality out of the box today, however you can compliment it with Google BeyondCorp (https://www.goldyarora.com/google-workspace-vs-google-beyondcorp/).

You can then enforce your users to use Google Chrome to access Google Drive, and a regex based wild card policy that matches anything, and blocks the chrome downloads.