Google Chat external invitation

Hi!

I am trying to add an external user in a space on Google Chat and always I get this message: "Can't send invitations. Try again in a minute" 

The space is created to accept externa users and the permissions are correctly configured. Also I checked the Google Admin Console to review the permission in the service but everything looks fine. Ah! And I have Google Business Standard service where this function is allowed.

Maybe I am turning crazy for a silly question... Is it necessary to invite to someone to have a Gmail account o Google account? Can I invite to external user of Google environment? 

Thank  so much!

Solved Solved
0 3 5,757
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Google Chat requires the use of a Google account of some type, such as a Workspace account or Identity, a personal Gmail account, or a personal non-Gmail Google account. 

So without some type of Google account, the invitation will not be sent.  (They could've produced an informative error message!)

ref: Workspace Admin Help: Chatting with external users 

And before anyone complains that Google is unique in this requirement ... a Google account can easily be created using an existing non-Gmail email address.  Also, other messaging platforms that allow users with any email address are doing so by essentially creating an account with it -- which is the same as a non-Gmail Google account.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Google Chat requires the use of a Google account of some type, such as a Workspace account or Identity, a personal Gmail account, or a personal non-Gmail Google account. 

So without some type of Google account, the invitation will not be sent.  (They could've produced an informative error message!)

ref: Workspace Admin Help: Chatting with external users 

And before anyone complains that Google is unique in this requirement ... a Google account can easily be created using an existing non-Gmail email address.  Also, other messaging platforms that allow users with any email address are doing so by essentially creating an account with it -- which is the same as a non-Gmail Google account.

Good day, 

I seem to be having a similar issue, currently making use of a Google Workspace business standard account. All external user settings have been set up for users to add and invite external users who have personal Gmail accounts, although I'm still getting the error "can't send the invitation, please try again in a minute"?

I'm using existing gmail addresses, but the invitee isn't even receiving the invitation.