Looker vs LookML

icm
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

Hi! 

I'm getting started with Looker right now, and running into the problem of the 5,000 row limit when using google sheets as a data source. What's the best way to solve this issue? Do I need to make a SQL database? Do I need to use LookML? I need about 15k rows at most, and would rather have it be something like google sheets where I can update the data and not have to remake the dashboard. I'm not doing anything particularly fancy just have a lot of data! 

Let me know! Thanks so much

ICM

Solved Solved
1 6 1,000
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Unfortunately you can't use more than 5000 data points for a visualisation whether it be a heatmap, table, or a regular map

View solution in original post

@icm Looker generated queries will work on all of your 15k or more data rows, its just that the final result of the aggregation (based on what you select in Explore UI) should not be more than 5k rows. The final data set will drive your charts and visualizations.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

icm
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

also I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place! 

Do you need to show all 15k rows at once?

Not show, just need to do operations on them. Like counting row numbers and displaying heatmaps of addresses. Is it possible to do a heatmap with 15k addresses? Maybe not. 

Totally open to using a different software, this just seems very user friendly for when I want to share things with non-tech people. 

Unfortunately you can't use more than 5000 data points for a visualisation whether it be a heatmap, table, or a regular map

@icm Looker generated queries will work on all of your 15k or more data rows, its just that the final result of the aggregation (based on what you select in Explore UI) should not be more than 5k rows. The final data set will drive your charts and visualizations.

With Looker you can only display a max of 5000 rows, but entire data set can be downloaded. There is no limit on downloads.