Readiness for GKE Support Tasks as a DEVOPS team

Looking for Google approach to setup GKE operations team from scratch. This should cover

Relevant trainings, Discovery and assessment ( KT) ,RACI Matrix, Best Practices

Solved Solved
1 1 146
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @avindia,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

1. Relevant Trainings - there's a lot of resource in the internet for free. Of course, before diving in to GKE, your team members should have a solid foundation of native Kubernetes and here are the resources that I can recommend:

Once your team members have the core knowledge required, they can go ahead and review these resources:

2. Discovery and Assessment (KT) - In the Discovery and Assessment phase, the team lead is instrumental in compiling key documentation on the GKE infrastructure. This involves mapping out the current system setup, detailing workloads, and identifying specific requirements such as compliance, security, and performance needs. The lead can also create sample test cases to assess the current knowledge of the other team members.

3. RACI Matrix - I cannot exactly provide the RACI Matrix within Google, but a general idea is, let's say you have a small team of 3 members, two of the team members are responsible for the day-to-day tasks like cluster setup, monitoring incidents, application deployment, and management, as well as handling CI/CD processes. They collaborate and consult with each other, ensuring operational efficiency and problem-solving.

The third member, typically the team lead, holds the accountability for all major areas, making key decisions, providing strategic direction, and ensuring compliance with security and organizational standards. This lead is also responsible for cost optimization and overseeing backup and disaster recovery plans. In this setup, each member often wears multiple hats, and flexibility is key. The lead also ensures that the team stays informed and aligned with broader organizational goals, facilitating effective communication and collaboration within the team.

4. Best Practices - you may refer to the guides below:

I hope this helps. Thank you. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @avindia,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

1. Relevant Trainings - there's a lot of resource in the internet for free. Of course, before diving in to GKE, your team members should have a solid foundation of native Kubernetes and here are the resources that I can recommend:

Once your team members have the core knowledge required, they can go ahead and review these resources:

2. Discovery and Assessment (KT) - In the Discovery and Assessment phase, the team lead is instrumental in compiling key documentation on the GKE infrastructure. This involves mapping out the current system setup, detailing workloads, and identifying specific requirements such as compliance, security, and performance needs. The lead can also create sample test cases to assess the current knowledge of the other team members.

3. RACI Matrix - I cannot exactly provide the RACI Matrix within Google, but a general idea is, let's say you have a small team of 3 members, two of the team members are responsible for the day-to-day tasks like cluster setup, monitoring incidents, application deployment, and management, as well as handling CI/CD processes. They collaborate and consult with each other, ensuring operational efficiency and problem-solving.

The third member, typically the team lead, holds the accountability for all major areas, making key decisions, providing strategic direction, and ensuring compliance with security and organizational standards. This lead is also responsible for cost optimization and overseeing backup and disaster recovery plans. In this setup, each member often wears multiple hats, and flexibility is key. The lead also ensures that the team stays informed and aligned with broader organizational goals, facilitating effective communication and collaboration within the team.

4. Best Practices - you may refer to the guides below:

I hope this helps. Thank you.