sum comma separated numbers seen as strings

My report is meant to show by employee and by category total expenses.  Im trying to sum values that are separated by commas with respect to each category, A category for example is "Dinner Max 18.90". 

My main issue is i cant convert the Comma separated numbers into single rows that respect the category there a part of. any help would be appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 4.25.38 PM.png

0 1 535
1 REPLY 1

You will probably need someone to model this in a tabular format by parsing the category and value lists into rows. 

If this is in BigQuery you may be able to do this in Looker by creating a view containing SQL using the Unnest( )and Split() functions to parse the values on the fly.  I have only ever done this once to split a list of strings but not for aggregating a sum.  Here is a link for reference in Unnest() and Split().

Question:  just so I understand, are the categories in row 6 from your example "Diner - max $14.30, Diner - max $18,90"  is this one long category label, OR is it 2 Categories "Diner - max $14.30" and "Diner - max $18,90" OR 3 Categories "Diner - max $14.30" and "Diner - max $18" and "90"?  Essentially is this a single category or a list a of Categories separated by commas?  If its a single long category then all that needs to be parsed into rows are the values.

Top Labels in this Space