Looker Documentation on "Location" type when Mapping by Country

Where can I find documentation on what Looker expects to see on “Country Names” in order for mapping capabilities to work fully? For example, I have a field “Country Name” which is set as Location type, so looker will recognize as country and map data accordingly. I noticed that an output I had (“Great Britain”) was not recognized, so I had to update it to United Kingdom (this is what Looker labels the country as on a map). I then noticed other idiosyncrasies such as, the Google Map in Looker labels Israel as “Israel”, but my data also lists “Israel” but Looker does not map the data to that country, so I assume Looker is expecting to see something else like possibly “Israel and the State of Palestine”.

So ultimately, I’m looking for a document that will tell me assuredly what Country Name the “Location” field type is expecting to see in order to enable correct mappings by country

0 1 890
1 REPLY 1

No one else replied to this, so I will reply with my solution: simply load into your table another dimension, which is the two-digit code corresponding to the country, add the dimension to your query but hide it from the visualization

Top Labels in this Space