Migration from SAP BO to Looker ? How ?

Hi Communauty, 

We have worked on a migration engine to automate migrations from SAP BO to Looker that could be interesting for those that engaged in such project. I share the methodology. We are implementing it at one of our customers. I would be curious to get your feedback.

Migrating universes

We will reproduce Looker's views and Explore with all the intermediate steps to delegate data merging from BO data providers into the target DB (via explore overloads). Objects are also redefined as Looker view fields and all the classification of these objects is reproduced in the target. Semantic intelligence is also converted into lookML (nested objects, aggregate aware, specific SQL, etc).

Migration of dashboards and intelligence

We obviously translates all the useful intelligence of the dashboards into lookML and recreates the links between the looks via smart filters. Each tab of a BO document becomes a Looker dashboard. Tab consistency is restored by linking them together in Looker.

Layout migration

We will translate the BO layout into LookLM respecting the organization of the components then will reproduce the different tables, sections, graphs according to the existing components of Looker.

Some further informations:

• Dimensions and measures of BO universes will be organized in the same way in Looker.
  • BO documents will be transformed into several dashboards in Looker: one per BO report (tab), with a menu to navigate between them.
  • Aggregate Aware, dashboard variables and derived SQL are reproduced as is in Looker. 
  • The syntax of the source database is translated into the native syntax of the target DB (usually bigQuery).

Solved Solved
2 3 470
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yes, tell me exactly your issue ? 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I, we have the same challenge, may be we can work together...

yes, tell me exactly your issue ? 

👍. Send me an email if you wish ? (PII Removed by Staff)

kr,