Column still visible if property changed to hidden

Dear GoogleCloudCommunity

For the Looker Dashboard, i just noticed, that changing property to Hidden actually did not make an effect on the dashboard/current property. The Property was still shown (but indeed i could not find it in the list of view/properties).

In general, i followed this guide how to change format of the date. And was expecting that the old column would dissappear and I would have to add a newly created column with format i want. But old column (with Hidden property) is still shown.
https://cloud.google.com/looker/docs/best-practices/how-to-use-liquid-to-format-dates

Is it expected behaviour or should be reported as a Bug?

Cheers,
Sergey

Solved Solved
0 5 1,261
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@sergey_b You have to manually hide the column in the explore to have it hide on the dashboard - The hidden property only hides the column on the field picker in the explore menu.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

When a column is hidden, it can still be referenced. But it will not show on the list of available dimensions and measures. In this case an existing explore or look will not be broken, but the column can't be added to a new explore or look through the UI.

If you want to break existing Explores and Looks, you can delete the column or change its name in the LookML.

Sorry, it looks like i did not explain the problem correctly.

I am not looking for a solution, but rather reporting a Bug.

I did the following:
1. Created a new dimension and added it on the Dashboard.
2. Changed the property of the dimension to Hidden.
3. The column is still visible on the Dashboard - here is my question, is it expected?

@sergey_b You have to manually hide the column in the explore to have it hide on the dashboard - The hidden property only hides the column on the field picker in the explore menu.

@n_davis thank you, i also noticed that, and this is how i fixed it. But is it not a bug? Would you not expect a different behaviour - as soon the property is choosen to Hidden - the column is hidden automatically on the dashboard (without any additional manual changes)?

Hiding the column instead of deleting it means that it still has some use in the model. We interpret hidden as "Don't let a user pick it from the field picker." But existing references still work and it can be added to dashboards and looks in a variety of ways that bypass the field picker. So this is not considered a bug.