Construction Worker App Ideas!

Hey everyone,

I'm reaching out to the community for some advice and brainstorming ideas. I'm exploring the development of an app or automation tailored for construction industry workers. Could you offer suggestions or advice on this?

My Goals:

1. Sample Apps for Inspiration: I'm looking for ideas and existing apps (doesn't have to be full-fledged)(Not from the sample apps of Appsheet) in the construction industry to get a feel for what's out there. I'll be refining the app further
  2. Problem-Solving for Workers: I want to focus on the challenges construction workers face on the job. What digitisation or automation can be done that can be a game changer for the workers? 

Idea I'm Exploring:

1. I'm considering it involves real-time updates via photo capture. What are your thoughts on how best to implement this? Would workers use their phone cameras or perhaps helmet-mounted cams?
  2. A quote builder feature for construction companies.

Open Questions:

• General Advice: If you were building an app to help construction workers, what features or functionalities would you prioritize?

Any input or suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help.
    (**I am notexperienced **)

Solved Solved
0 3 218
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi,

I think you should first determine the proficiency with phones of the workers. Based on this, you'll know if you can afford complexity in the process of your app. The lower are they proficient with phones, the lower should be the amount of inputs they make and the more complex your app will become if you have multiple process. Best you can do is divide the amount of input between back office operators & workers so that they only see their related construction sites. 

If you have a kind of process that involves paperwork, an app use is obvious as paperwork is source of a lot of wastes : location, transporation, movements, errors/insufficient quality, waiting time. 

When deploying the app, make sure to remove the old paperwork. I noticed that it can be a blockage for operators. I initially authorized the paperwork to still be on-site (just in case), but definitely not a good idea.

One of the focus should be to sure that the data sent by operators is true, while asking them the least information possible.

Another focus : having a real time follow up tool is very useful. You can create on based on LOGS, or based on your data tables. 

baba_sawane_0-1714987963260.png

Very important : the follow up of the assignements. The assignements have to be up to date on a regular basis so that workers can actually work and see their on-going sites. Especially if you have shorts projects period (between 1 & 14 days). You'll have to update the assignements so that workers don't see too much info, which leads to errors. Best way is : involve the site managers so that they update the assignements themselves when needed.  Or, create somewhere a file with info about the changes of assignement. A planning is visually not enough as you have to know each and every changes.

A simple data structure for this kind of app is : 

baba_sawane_1-1714988389024.png

1. I'm considering it involves real-time updates via photo capture. What are your thoughts on how best to implement this? Would workers use their phone cameras or perhaps helmet-mounted cams?

It's a good idea. But it relies much on the device. If you are sure they can take high quality pictures consistently, it can be powerful and much time saver. Instead of filling any paperwork : go to the site in the app, add a photo, select a category (advancement/phase/delivery) and send. 

App Ideas : 

Advancement follow-up through daily reports & photos > useful for sites managers & clients

Daily Self control app > to implement control practices & is an argument to get to work with somes clients

Maintenance contract management app  > logs contract changes, plan interventions, automate clients email for a planned intervention/satisfaction form, operators can access to an intervention agenda. This kind of app can be used with tons of small companies as long as they aim to improve their quality management

View solution in original post

Question: General Advice: If you were building an app to help construction workers, what features or functionalities would you prioritize?

Answer: Please go through below mentioned 

Job Number/Name: this column will help the Management to identify the user is working on which project. The job numbers can be either a drop down list or a user manual entry. A DROP DOWN LIST would be easy for the user to select which would avoid confusion later on by the user & management

Attendance: this column can be used to maintain a track record of a user worked in using parameters like CHECK IN TIME with DATE & TIME & CHECK OUT TIME with DATE & TIME.

Material Management: Including a column with Material used either in drop down (for predefined materials list) or a user input to identify the data. 

Help/Contact: Including a TAB/VIEW with all the emergency contact numbers pre filled (only viewing possible with no alternation or deletion) which the user can directly access to make calls in any emergency situations.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Just curious, what are you trying to do exactly? What's your assignment?

Hi,

I think you should first determine the proficiency with phones of the workers. Based on this, you'll know if you can afford complexity in the process of your app. The lower are they proficient with phones, the lower should be the amount of inputs they make and the more complex your app will become if you have multiple process. Best you can do is divide the amount of input between back office operators & workers so that they only see their related construction sites. 

If you have a kind of process that involves paperwork, an app use is obvious as paperwork is source of a lot of wastes : location, transporation, movements, errors/insufficient quality, waiting time. 

When deploying the app, make sure to remove the old paperwork. I noticed that it can be a blockage for operators. I initially authorized the paperwork to still be on-site (just in case), but definitely not a good idea.

One of the focus should be to sure that the data sent by operators is true, while asking them the least information possible.

Another focus : having a real time follow up tool is very useful. You can create on based on LOGS, or based on your data tables. 

baba_sawane_0-1714987963260.png

Very important : the follow up of the assignements. The assignements have to be up to date on a regular basis so that workers can actually work and see their on-going sites. Especially if you have shorts projects period (between 1 & 14 days). You'll have to update the assignements so that workers don't see too much info, which leads to errors. Best way is : involve the site managers so that they update the assignements themselves when needed.  Or, create somewhere a file with info about the changes of assignement. A planning is visually not enough as you have to know each and every changes.

A simple data structure for this kind of app is : 

baba_sawane_1-1714988389024.png

It's a good idea. But it relies much on the device. If you are sure they can take high quality pictures consistently, it can be powerful and much time saver. Instead of filling any paperwork : go to the site in the app, add a photo, select a category (advancement/phase/delivery) and send. 

App Ideas : 

Advancement follow-up through daily reports & photos > useful for sites managers & clients

Daily Self control app > to implement control practices & is an argument to get to work with somes clients

Maintenance contract management app  > logs contract changes, plan interventions, automate clients email for a planned intervention/satisfaction form, operators can access to an intervention agenda. This kind of app can be used with tons of small companies as long as they aim to improve their quality management

Question: General Advice: If you were building an app to help construction workers, what features or functionalities would you prioritize?

Answer: Please go through below mentioned 

Job Number/Name: this column will help the Management to identify the user is working on which project. The job numbers can be either a drop down list or a user manual entry. A DROP DOWN LIST would be easy for the user to select which would avoid confusion later on by the user & management

Attendance: this column can be used to maintain a track record of a user worked in using parameters like CHECK IN TIME with DATE & TIME & CHECK OUT TIME with DATE & TIME.

Material Management: Including a column with Material used either in drop down (for predefined materials list) or a user input to identify the data. 

Help/Contact: Including a TAB/VIEW with all the emergency contact numbers pre filled (only viewing possible with no alternation or deletion) which the user can directly access to make calls in any emergency situations.

Top Labels in this Space