Billing for Looker workloads when using service account

Hi All,

I have a query on configuring the BQ connection in Looker.

How does the billing happen if the Billing Project id I have mentioned in the below screen shot is different than the project id using which the service account was create and configured in the below connection?

If the service account is used to submit queries to BQ then the billing will happen for the Service Account's project ID. Is that true? and the Billing Project ID below will not be used for billing?

a_shah_0-1702995263540.png

Regards,

Ashish

1 2 138
2 REPLIES 2

Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your question and for being part of the Innovators Plus Program. I've shared your question with our internal team to see if someone can help with getting you an answer! In the meantime, hopefully a helpful Community Member might jump in and help out. It also might be helpful to cross post this over on the Data Analytics User Group forum as there are more BigQuery power users there!  

Hi @a_shah

Thank you for reaching out to our community.

Here's my take based on your description:

1. I believe billing configuration supersedes the service account project association. All the costs incurred by your queries will be charged to the billing project that you have specified in the BigQuery connection regardless of the service account's origin.

2. Service account project IDs are mainly utilized for authorization and access control, it identifies the resources that can be used and what actions can be done.

Hope this helps.