We’re looking for someone to help us with reporting and leveling up our Looker implementation at Nextdoor. Please reach out or apply directly if you’re interested. Open to remote! More than half the team right now is fully remote.
Analytics Engineer - Looker Architect at Nextdoor
San Francisco, CA
Nextdoor is where you connect to the neighborhoods that matter to you so you can belong. Our purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Neighbors around the world turn to Nextdoor daily to receive trusted information, give and get help, get things done, and build real-world connections with those nearby — neighbors, businesses, and public services. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in more than 275,000 neighborhoods across 11 countries.
Meet your Future Neighbors
At Nextdoor, we believe in the transformative power of community. In the Analytics Engineering team at Nextdoor, we believe in the transformative power of information, bringing together data from a wide variety of sources and making it digestable and actionable by everyone in the company. We are a lean but powerful team with diverse backgrounds and perspectives, because that’s what we seek out and respect in others. We collaborate cross-functionally to make the numbers available and clear, playing a key role in the company’s overall effort to foster stronger and healthier communities.
The Impact You’ll Make
As a Analytics Engineer - Looker Architect at Nextdoor, you’ll work to democratize data and reporting to drive strategy and measure performance against KPIs across the business. You’ll be working with some of our core data and reporting pipelines, making it available to stakeholders across the company via queries, tools, and dashboards. You’ll also own our Looker Platform to level up our model and implementation to adapt to Nextdoor as a rapidly growing company. The ideal candidate is a tech-savvy strong communicator who understands how to make data understandable by everyone. This role includes regular opportunities to partner closely with executive-level stakeholders.
You should be excited to bring your experience and expertise every day in order to:
- Have oversight over our Looker development environment. Make sure it’s clean, organized, and well-implemented.
- Manage expansion of our use of Looker tools, possibly including (but not limited to) Permissioning, API integrations, Productized Embedded Dashboards, etc.
- Encourage internal adoption and self-sufficiency of Stakeholders on the Looker platform, including training users and making dashboards easy to find.
- Own reporting tools, pipelines, and dashboards to ensure consistent availability and accuracy of mission-critical data.
- Build and maintain datasets that represent the source of truth for our key metrics.
- Keep data sources fresh even while requirements and definitions change. Address data quality issues and build in alerting.
- Partner with key stakeholders on KPI development and tracking across the organization
- Set expectations and SLAs on data availability, and own communications around SLA performance to the business
- Drive self-service and data literacy for business users on our data platform by creating and documenting data structures and sets, SQL and data tools training, and dashboard development
- Care deeply about data quality and empowering employees to leverage data to help them succeed in their careers and help Nextdoor grow and succeed
What You’ll Bring to The House
- 5+ years working in data or analytics
- 2+ years developing in and administering Looker
- Expert knowledge of SQL, including writing and optimizing queries in multiple dialects
- Strong communication skills with stakeholders at all levels on both technical and business issues
- Ability to understand, tackle, and solve problems from both technical and business perspectives
- Experience effectively presenting insights and summarizing complex data to diverse audiences through visualizations and other means
- Experience working with and delivering to stakeholders from multiple parts of the company
- A background working for an ad-supported site with user-generated content
- LookML Developer certification
- Experience working with ETL/ELT pipelines
- Experience with writing and reviewing version controlled code (github)
- Experience writing in a scripting language such as Spark or Python
- Experience in an agile or kanban workflow
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the neighbors we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.