Looker will not be updating this content, nor guarantees that everything is up-to-date.
This article is meant to be used in conjunction with the Looker documentation page Setting Up and Testing a Git Connection to configure a LookML project with SSH authentication. This post highlights the differences when setting up version control with a SSH key from Bitbucket Cloud.
Bitbucket Cloud is different than Bitbucket Server. Bitbucket Cloud repositories are hosted by Bitbucket, while Bitbucket Server repositories are hosted on a user's own server. The instructions below apply only to Bitbucket Cloud.
IMPORTANT: The user who owns the SSH key must be a member of the Bitbucket repository and must have write access to it. To enable write access on the repository, the user must be the owner of the repository, have explicit write access granted to them, or be a member of a group that has write permissions on the repository.
As you go through the instructions in the SSH section of the Setting Up and Testing a Git Connection documentation page, you can use the instructions in this document to see the steps specific to Bitbucket.
- In Bitbucket, get the SSH URL for your Bitbucket repo. The format should look similar to this:
- Open your project in Looker and then do one of the following:
- For a new project, click the Configure Git button.
- If you want to change the setup for an existing project, click on the Git menu and select Project Settings, then click the Reset Git Connection button from the Project Settings page.
Starting in Looker 7.12, the Reset Git Connection button is located on the Configuration tab of the Project Settings page in the new IDE. Navigate to the Project Settings page by clicking the Settings icon from the navigation bar.
- Enter the SSH URL for your Bitbucket repo in the Repository URL field for your LookML project configuration. For Looker versions earlier than 7.6, you can only specify 7999 (the default) for the port.
- Looker will detect your Git provider and display an SSH deploy key for your repo. (If Looker does not successfully detect your Git provider, it will ask you to choose from a drop-down. Choose Bitbucket.) Select the entire SSH deploy key and copy it to your clipboard.
- In Bitbucket, click on the SSH Keys section of the Bitbucket settings panel link to open the SSH Keys page for your Bitbucket repository.
- In the SSH Keys page, click the Add key button:
IMPORTANT: The SSH deploy key MUST be saved in the SSH Keys section associated with the User, NOT in the Access Keys section associated with the repository.
- Add a title for the SSH deploy key. The name is not important, but you might want to include Looker and your project title to keep track of it in the future.
- Paste the SSH deploy key you copied from Looker.
- Click the Add key button to save the SSH key. If you are editing an existing SSH key, click Save.
Continue with steps in the Setting Up and Testing a Git Connection documentation page to finish your LookML project configuration.