How do you reference a yesno dimension field value?

Knowledge Drop

Last tested: March 2021

Looker’s “yesno” dimensions return boolean values (TRUE or FALSE) rather than a string “yes” or “no”. For this reason, when SQL is involved, you don’t need to write “field == yes”, you can simply write “field”, as this will return TRUE or FALSE by itself. Here are specific examples depending on where you’d like to reference it:

SQL:

You can treat it as a boolean.

sql: CASE WHEN ${field} THEN ...

Filtered Measure:

measure: first_purchase_count {      type: count      filters:[is_first_purchase:"Yes"]

Liquid HTML

{% if value == 'Yes' %} will do it.
Note: it is case sensitive.

Templated filter:

We put a boolean in between the condition, like:

derived_table: {sql:SELECT murder FROM public.rawhere {% condition filter %} murder=10 {% endcondition %} ;; }dimension: filter {type: yesnosql: ${TABLE}.murder=10;;}

cite docs for type yesno , docs for filtered measures and docs for liquid variables

This content is subject to limited support.                

Comments
mweb

Interestingly it will send ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ when using the Send functionality to send the dimension as a trait via Segment Identify.  Is there anyway to filter this or do we need to have a separate dimension of type string to send the true/false values?  I would expect true/false to be sent but for now have setup additional dimensions to get around this.

sam8
Staff

I think the additional dimensions are the best way to go here. 

The yesno dimensions are treated as true/false in SQL statements, but by the time the data is rendered and sent, they’ll only show “yes” and “no”. 

To double check, I tested setting “Results” to “As displayed in the data table” and “Values” to “Unformatted” and both returned Yes/No values.

Version history
Last update:
‎04-05-2021 09:06 AM
Updated by: