How do I change the order of my visualization/table?

Knowledge Drop

Last tested: Dec 19, 2019

Table Next

In Table Next, you can freely drag columns around in the visualization.

Table Legacy

In Table Legacy, the order of the visualization is dependent on the order of the columns in the data table. You can drag the columns to change the order of the series. However, you can't drag between different types of columns.

Workaround for Table Legacy

It's true that you can't drag columns between different types of columns. There are 4 main types of columns:

1. Dimensions
  2. Table Calculations based on dimensions ("green dimensions")
  3. Measures
  4. Table Calculations based on measures ("green measures")

You can freely drag columns that are the same type between other columns of the same type.

drag columns.png

Thus, a workaround for reorganizing any column is to make all desired fields into "green measures"!

• To turn a measure into a green measure, simply make a new table calculation with the measure definition.
    • ${measure}
  • To turn a dimension or green dimension into a green measure, make a new table calculation that includes a measure or green measure like the workarounds in this article.

This content is subject to limited support.                

Comments
felixhelix
Observer

So, to display a calculated number on a dashboard you need to first convert every other column into a green measure? Because the “single number” visualization only takes the first column.

This is a lot of time for something simple. Maybe the single number visualization could have an option for which column it is visualizing.

sam8
Staff

Hey @felixhelix ! 

For the use case of displaying one particular number for a single number visualization, I recommend using the “hide from visualization” option instead. You can hide every other field except for the one you want to show. 

This is still cumbersome if there are a lot of fields, but definitely easier than creating a green measure for each measure.

felixhelix
Observer

Hey @felixhelix ! 

For the use case of displaying one particular number for a single number visualization, I recommend using the “hide from visualization” option instead. You can hide every other field except for the one you want to show. 

This is still cumbersome if there are a lot of fields, but definitely easier than creating a green measure for each measure.

That’s a good tip thank you!

BIDevSonu
Participant I

@sam8 : Thanks for the tip. Any help on below would be highly appreciated 🙂 

How would we apply sorting in a drill window in a dashboard? Below window appears when user clicks on a single value Total visual

Below is a sample drill window. How would we apply sorting on Year, Quarter dimensions? Is there a way to add it in LookML. Tried order_by_field it doesn't seem to work.

Also, in the drill window - is it possible to add a percentage column which should be based on the total/year and not the complete total?

Lastly, is there a way to add sorting for the filters on dashboard?  I have a calendar quarter filter with values like 2018Q1,2018Q2,2018Q3,2018Q4,2019Q1 so on. Its sorted in ascending order by default. I would like to change it to descending. Is it possible?  

eb27945f-4779-48ee-91f6-d4ed878d8908.png
Version history
Last update:
‎07-07-2021 01:12 PM
Updated by: