Csv import or solution

Hi All, Firstly loving the app creation, it does a lot of nifty things that i wasn’t expecting.

Saying that i have hit a road block that i am not sure i can get around.

The app i am building is an audit tool, basically employees will create a (StockOrder) in microsoft excel of items that should be produced. The items are then produced and counted prior to leaving the building.

We currently print out the excel sheet and someone manually writes on what they counted, we need to track this better and move from a paper based system to something we can all track.

I started building the app, but i am now at the point where an employee somehow has to add the (StockOrder) to the data source so we can then count it.

I was hoping for some sort of import feature in which a user can then import the (Stockorder) via the app/website - from what i can tell there is nothing like this available. (please tell me there is).

Failing that i am not sure how i can get the (Stockorders) from the employees into the data source?

1 5 1,456
5 REPLIES 5

No, there is no method of handling “imports” like this via appsheet. They would recommend that you swim upstream to where the stock orders are created and create them via appsheet in the first place, and/or look into 3rd party methodologies for importing into data sources, or API directly into where the stock orders are created. Good luck. (@praveen @William Personally I think it would be awesome for appsheet to include the functionality to import csv. Similar to importing contacts in quickbooks… It would really help make the platform even more no-code AND help with general/light interoperability)

Hopefully this can help:

Expanding on what @Grant_Stead said about “swimming upstream”.

If employees are creating the StockOrder in Excel, is or can the workbook be hosted in an AppSheet supported cloud service? Employees can still access as they normally do (just from a different location) and then you can have your app tap into it as a datasource.

It may be that what/how the employees enter is not directly usable for an AppSheet table. But you can always add a hidden sheet that collates the data into an AppSheet consumable datasource.

By the way, You can have your app use multiple datasources.

Thanks for the input. Thinking similar process steps. I cant change how the employees work as it varies and too much hassle. Instead I have wrote the code to export their data into another workbook.

The problem arises with the cloud based database, due to access writes it would be complicated to let the users get access, hence the need/want to upload a file.

I’ll keep looking and thanks for the guidance

You could look into Zapier to see if you can do something. https://help.appsheet.com/en/articles/1980044-connect-a-zapier-zap-to-your-app

Right, there’s lots of workarounds… Maybe one day the appsheet team will hook us up with something native to handle this type of workload.

Top Labels in this Space