Best way to test Push Notifications on a mobile device?

I am trying to test a Notify Workflow by seeing the actual notification show up on my mobile device. I do have several Workflows established for automated Emails. Since the properties for Email are similar, I am assuming I do not need to do much different in the way of the Workflow for setting up a Notify. I have created a Notify Workflow and for now have it set to a default message.

I understand that AppSheet, for un-deployed apps, will use the emaill address of the app creator and I guess that is the same for Notify? However, the email address I use for my AppSheet account is NOT the same as my personal primary email address on my mobile device - although I have now added the AppSheet Gmail email to my mobile device.

What do I need to do in order to get the Notification to show up on my mobile device?

0 5 776
5 REPLIES 5

@WillowMobileSystems
You need to login to AppSheet app with that gmail address

Thanks! That was it! I have a couple of AppSheet accounts I bounce back and forth between. I was unknowingly in the wrong account!

So a follow-up question. My use case is to build an AppSheet system for businesses to manage their service orders. I want to have a Push Notification go out to their customers. Obviously, an end user needs to have AppSheet installed to receive the notification. But when the message is received, there is an Open button that will attempt to open the application. Can this be removed some how? I want an end user to have the ability to receive the push notification without any access to the business app.

When I tested, the open button opened the app even though I had deleted it.

@WillowMobileSystems
As the notification is coming from AppSheet, just like the native appโ€™s behaviour, it will try to open the app. To receive the notification, AppSheet being installed alone is not sufficient. They need to login to AppSheet app and they should be in your user white-list with the same email address in your app. So when they click the the notification, it will launch the app. Thatโ€™s an intentional behavior in all mobile apps, hence I donโ€™t think that thereโ€™s a way to disable that.

In your test, even you delete the app from your mobile device (actually you only remove the shortcut itself and the core AppSheet app is still installed in your device), it will launch the app provided you are still an authenticated user of that app. If not, you will see a login not successfull screen indeed.

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for all of the good info.

Top Labels in this Space