Looker 7.4 Release Notes

• 14 March 2020
  • 2 replies

Anticipated Deployment Dates

Release Rollout Begins: Sunday, March 15th, 2019

Release Final & Download Available: Thursday, March 26th, 2020

All Previous Release Notes

Legacy Features End-of-life Schedule

Important Notice: Release notes have officially moved to reside within our Looker documentation. This release, Looker 7.4, will be the last release announced via Community. From Looker 7.6 and on all release content will solely be in our documentation. Check out the new content here:

Looker 7.4 Release Highlights

Looker 7.4 Changelog

Please note that comments on this thread are not formally tracked. For help requests and issue reports please open a separate thread or reach out via the Looker Help Center to start a specific conversation.

2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

Why in the new syntax have you chosen to accept filters: [field: value, field: value] format instead of filters: [{field: value}, {field: value}]?

The syntax filters: [field: value, field: value] looks pretty weird to me and it is breaking the LookML parser we use… https://github.com/joshtemple/lkml/issues/32

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I am not a definitive voice on our internal engineering decisions so I can’t argue for the benefits/shortcomings of the specifics, but I am happy to share a little bit of insight into this choice.

Our engineers found it to be more succinct and ergonomic from a code perspective, and it was easier to preserve backwards compatibility with the old syntax-- Which still works, so you can continue to use that if you’d like. I also believe (speaking as a total script kiddie) that since filters are technically expressions and not objects, the array of expressions syntax makes sense vs. the array of objects.

That said, if the main issue is with the parser choking then my advice to “just use the old syntax” probably isn’t very useful. I do know that a few folks from our end have already been in touch with Josh about the change and we are definitely here to support him/any other lkml contributor in updating the parser grammar.

Hopefully that sheds a little light on why we made the choice, I’m happy to field any followup questions! We have no plans in sight to deprecate the old filter syntax so feel free to keep using it in the meantime.