As Looker is not officially posting updates here anymore then I thought to still share it as this is one of the best places for customers to give feedback about new updates.
I have listed first the official highlights provided by Looker and then added unofficial highlights by roles, which is something I share usually to our own users.
Let me/us know what do you think about those updates?
Expected Rollout Start: June 14th, 2020
Expected Final Release and Download Available: June 25th, 2020
Highlights provided by Looker:
Looker API CORS
A new experimental Labs feature that permits browser-based applications to directly call the Looker API without needing a proxy server for the API calls.
💰 Dashboards (Beta): Filter Themes
Introducing the ability to customize embed filter colors.
Dashboards (Beta): Enhancements
Introducing new menu options on dashboard (beta) tiles and the ability to retrieve dashboard LookML from dashboards (beta).
Database Connection Pooling
A new beta Labs feature that can improve query performance and support more concurrent users for supported database dialects.
Unofficial highlight by user groups:
Regular user (Browse menu):
- Users can create a board from the Browse menu.
- The inability to edit multiple dashboard filters simultaneously has been addressed.
- The Calendar Heatmap custom visualization available on the Looker Marketplace includes the following improvements: new styles, new formatting options, the ability to drill, and table calculation support.
The Looker Marketplace now offers a Community Mobility Data Block that’s included within the COVID-19 Data Block.
- The ACS Demographic Data Block has been added to the Looker Marketplace.
- A new Liquid parser is now used during LookML validation. This new parser will raise new Liquid warnings for syntax issues that were previously ignored. The warnings will indicate the line of LookML code causing the warning. https://help.looker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049663734
- Python SDK support for Python 3.6 is now available.
- Refinements can now be used in Aggregate Table LookML for dashboards and Explores.
extendsLookML parameter can now be implemented within refinements.
- A new beta Labs feature, Database Connection Pooling, is now available. This feature optimizes database connection re-use via the JDBC driver, which allows for the maintenance of a pool of connections when databases with supported dialects are accessed.
- A new experimental Labs feature, Looker API CORS , is now available. This feature allows browser-based web applications to call the Looker API across domain boundaries using the Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) protocol. Each web application must be registered with the Looker instance and enabled by a Looker admin. Disabling this feature immediately blocks all cross-domain web requests to the Looker API.
- A user with the
create_alertspermission no longer sees the Admin panel without any menu options.