Release Rollout Begins: April 16, 2017
Release Final & Download Available: May 4, 2017
Dashboard Creation and Editing Improvements
Looker 4.12 brings a host of tweaks to make creating, editing, and managing Dashboards easier. Create a Dashboard right from Spaces and add Looks or Text elements using the slick new edit toolbar; no more fishing through the gear menu. Those Text tiles you added now accept Markdown for formatted text and links. You can also grab the Dashboard LookML associated with a Look-based Dashboard for extra portability.
Percentiles and Medians
Take on meatier analysis with built-in median measures! Rather than hoping your SQL dialect has a median function or settling for averages, you can now use the new median and percentile measure types (in both standard and distinct varieties).
In addition to general tweaks and enhancements, this release comes with new and improved features in the following categories. Read on for more detail.
- Dashboards and Visualizations
- Scheduling and Downloading
Preparing for Release
Please take notice of items marked with a ⚡ as they indicate changes to existing functionality and may require your attention. For more information see the Legacy Feature Updates and Features by Section below.
- Addressed an issue where downloading sometimes lead to a 404 or 500 response (impacts Lookerbot)
- Changed beta Dashboard API routes, consolidating LookML and User Defined dashboard routes
- Clicking a Dashboard Element’s title now directly launches an Explore instead of opening the gear menu
- Edit Mode for Dashboards now displays the options to add Looks, Text elements, as well as configuration settings and filters in a toolbar rather than in the gear menu
- Removed Text elements from a Dashboard’s Edit settings
- “View this data in Looker” links now take users to filtered versions of the Look or Dashboard if the email is for a filtered piece of content.
- Collapsed Dashboard filter bars now display the filter value for a User Attribute rather than the Attribute name.
- Switched to
REGEXP_LIKEfor string comparisons in Denodo
Features by Section
Dashboards and Visualizations
- Improved Dashboard creation and editing workflow.
- You can now create a blank Dashboard from the Spaces page.
- Dashboard titles can be edited directly from the Dashboard page.
- Dashboards can be deleted from the Dashboard page.
⚡ Edit Mode for Dashboards now displays the options to add Looks, Text elements, as well as configuration settings and filters in a toolbar rather than in the gear menu.
- Dashboard Text elements now accept certain Markdown tags for formatting and rendering links.
Added a Dashboard gear menu option to get the Dashboard LookML associated with a User Defined Dashboard. Learn more
- Updated touch options for Visualizations on mobile.
- Pressing and releasing will bring up the tooltip for a data point.
- Pressing and dragging along a chart will display tooltips for whichever datapoint is being touched.
- Pressing and holding on a single data point will bring up the drill modal.
- Updated the display for Dashboards with Elements in multiple timezones.
⚡ Collapsed Dashboard filter bars now display the filter value for a User Attribute rather than the Attribute name.
⚡ Removed Text elements from a Dashboard’s Edit settings.
⚡ Clicking a Dashboard Element’s title now directly launches an Explore instead of opening the gear menu.
⚡ Changed beta Dashboard API routes, consolidating LookML and User Defined dashboard routes. Impacted APIs include, but are not limited to:
Scheduling and Downloading
- Introduced the ability to add text to scheduled Looks and Dashboards.
- Filterable scheduling is now available on Looks.
Added a new Inline Image scheduled Dashboard type that mirrors Dashboard display in Looker.
- Improved Filtered Schedules.
- User Attribute-based filter values now display in filtered schedules.
- If a piece of content is scheduled to more than one user and the schedule fails, the recipient will be displayed in the error email.
⚡ “View this data in Looker” links now take users to filtered versions of the Look or Dashboard if the email is for a filtered piece of content.
- Improved the error message produced when scheduling to an email address that is not in a whitelisted domain.
Google BigQuery. Added the ability to download unlimited results.
Impala. Added the ability to configure Looker to use Cloudera-provided drivers. Learn More
⚡ Denodo. Switched to
REGEXP_LIKEfor string comparisons.
Introduced percentile and percentile_distinct measure types for certain dialects. Learn more
Introduced median measure type for certain dialects. Learn more
Introduced median_distinct measure type for certain dialects. Learn more
General Tweaks and Bug Fixes
⚡ Addressed an issue where downloading sometimes lead to a 404 or 500 response. Created a new Lookerbot release as a result. Learn more.
- Updated Data Actions to include the ability to provide a description for form fields, better error messaging, and a beta API endpoint.
Google BigQuery. Fixed an issue where filtered results were incorrect when using the case_sensitive parameter
- Clarified definitions of Labs features in the Admin panel.
- The Content Validator now updates Explore From Here Look and Dashboard links.
- Addressed an error message that appeared if a view’s primary key was not included in a
- Addressed a series of incorrect error messages that appeared before a Look or Dashboard element ran.
- Addressed a number of
extends-related LookML issues.
- Added more precision to the funnel visualization for comparing small values.
- Fixed an issue where drill links were not displayed for Funnel visualizations.
- Fixed an issue where Dashboards with only Text elements would not appear in Spaces
- Fixed an issue where deleted content would be included in counts in Spaces.
- Fixed an issue where the Choose Looks modal did not populate if there was a deleted Look on a Dashboard.
- Fixed an issue where a series’s settings were not preserved after moving between axes.
- Fixed an issue where duplicate browser history events were produced for a single Dashboard page load.