Release Rollout Begins: March 19, 2017
Release Final & Download Available: March 30, 2017
In addition to general tweaks and enhancements, this release comes with new and improved features in the following categories. Read on for more detail.
- Dashboards and Visualizations
Preparing for Release
Please take notice of items marked with a ⚡ as they indicate changes to existing functionality and may require your attention. For more information see the Legacy Feature Updates and Features by Section below.
- Introduced the “Implicit Dashboard Default Timezone” Legacy Feature.
- The “Legacy Drill Behavior” Legacy Feature is disabled by default.
- The “YAML-based LookML for modeling” Legacy Feature is disabled by default.
- Addressed inconsistent Look and Dashboard presentation in Spaces for users with
see_user_dashboardsand users with just
- The Save button on the Explore page will now return you to the Explore Page instead of taking you to the Look.
- Filter values rather than filter names are now displayed in bold when the filters bar is collapsed.
- Deleted Looks will no longer appear in the Content Validator.
Improved Y-Axes Controls
The y-axis configuration settings has been revamped, allowing Cartesian charts to be much more flexible. You can now combine any number of y-axes (or chose not to!), scale and format them independently, and split pivoted series across axes. Happy creating!
Control Access Filters with User Attributes
The existing Access Filter mechanism has been beefed up, allowing you to govern the whole system with User Attributes. You can now organize and manage filters by logical association rather than individuals and Groups’ Access Filters can be given default values—filter in bulk!
Legacy Feature Updates
The following feature has been deprecated and will only be available by enabling the associated legacy feature:
Upon updating to Looker 4.10 the following legacy features will be disabled by default. To reenable these features, check the associated box in the Legacy Features section of the admin panel.
Details on how to migrate off legacy features can be found here.
Features by Section
Dashboards and Visualizations
Selective assignment of series to y-axes. Create or combine any number of y-axes. Learn more.
Introduced a Funnel visualization type. Learn more.
Added Visual Drilling to the Labs menu, allowing it to be disabled if so desired. Learn more.
- Table Visualizations in PDFs now show their full width.
User Attributes as a Access Filter mechanism. User Attributes can now govern Access Filters, providing for Group-level assignment. Learn more.
Improved User Specific Time Zones. Learn more about feature. Learn about the legacy feature.
Google BigQuery. Introduced a Max Billing Gigabytes connection parameter which can be used to limit the size of any single query. It can also be tied to a User Attribute value.
- Introducing support for Google Cloud PosgreSQL.
- Introducing initial support for Google Spanner.
Snowflake. Updated to the latest driver.
General Tweaks and Bug Fixes
- LookML and Development Environment.
- Added missing quick help docs when the cursor is placed at the start of LookML blocks.
- Fixed an issue with multi-line pasting in the new IDE.
- Fixed an issue related to LookML validation when
extension: requiredis used.
- Fixed an issue related to
- Fixed an issue where saving could hang.
Amazon Athena. Fixed an issue where the LookML generator did not see more than 100 tables across all databases.
Google BigQuery. Addressed an issue related to casting dimensions with
⚡ Addressed inconsistent Look and Dashboard presentation in Spaces for users with
see_user_dashboardsand users with just
see_user_dashboards. Users’ ability to query reports has not changed. Learn more.
- Fixed an issue where the edit modal would occasionally not return data.
- Looks & Dashboards can now be moved into personal Spaces.
⚡ The Save button on the Explore page will now return you to the Explore Page instead of taking you to the Look.
⚡ Filter values rather than filter names are now displayed in bold when the filters bar is collapsed.
⚡ Deleted Looks will no longer appear in the Content Validator.
- Hovering over relative timestamps now displays the exact time.
- Added the ability to copy values from SQL Runner Tables & Drill Overlays.
- Improved error messages related to malformed tiers and views without
- Addressed an issue where unchecking a default role on a user did not remove that role.
- Fixed an issue where single value visualizations would be cut off in scheduled inline dashboards.
- Increased the size of click targets on mobile Dashboards and Visualizations.
- Fixed an issue related to MandrillApp and custom SMTP settings that occasionally caused scheduled Dashboard elements to render empty.
- Fixed an issue where downloaded files could not be renamed.
- Fixed an issue where Dashboards could not be renamed.
- Fixed an issue where Looks and Dashboards could be missing from Spaces if a Space was moved into another.
- Fixed an issue where sorts were not respected in Explores with a single, pivoted dimension.
- Fixed an issue where Looker-generated SQL incorrectly escaped regex special characters in regex string comparison.
- Fixed an issue where the Rebuild Derived Tables & Run option was hidden when
persist_for: 0 secondswas declared.