[RSVP] Data Explorers Guild 2: Tuesday June 16

The Data Explorers Guild is a group of data enthusiasts that meet virtually each month to learn from one another, share experiences with Looker and data, and explore fun datasets in a collaborative environment. Join us for an hour of interactive data-driven fun & education with your fellow data explorers. All are welcome!
The date of this event has been updated from June 2 to June 16.

🕵📈 🕵️‍♀ Hey Data Explorers! 🕵️‍♀📈 🕵

The Data Explorers Guild is back 🎉
Last month, we met for an hour of fun, networking, and real-time data exploration. It was a blast to meet some of you and play with a dataset together, and I’m very excited for round 2.

We’ll be meeting again on Tuesday June 16 at 3PM PDT (Americas) and 3PM BST (EMEA).
You must RSVP below to receive videoconference details and data access

Agenda

We’re taking your feedback and updating some things. This event will feature:

• Speed Networking
    NEW: Pairings will be 5m instead of 3m, and groups will be 2-3 people instead of just 2.

• Release Highlight
    NEW: This session is all new. We’re inviting a user to pick a new feature from Looker 7.8 and teach everyone about it.

• Visualization Challenge
    NEW: We’ll be releasing the dataset 2 weeks ahead of time to give you plenty of time to explore.
    The dataset is now live, scroll to the next post in this thread or click here.
    During the event, we’ll come together and share what we’ve created and explore collaboratively. RSVP’ing will also grant developer access to the model.

• Personally Identifiable Information
    100% of attendees rated the AMA as the most valuable session, so it’s here to stay. In this riskily titled session, we’ll invite a user to be in the hot seat for an AMA-style series of questions about their careers and experience with data. We’ll have a few prepared for introductions, and then it’s open for the group.
    Disclaimer: No personally identifiable information will actually be shared. Maybe a name.

🙌 RSVP

You must RSVP in order to receive videoconferencing details and data access.
RSVP CLOSED

Interested in speaking, presenting, or being the subject of an AMA session? Click here!

1 12 319
12 REPLIES 12

Exploration is totally open: Post links to anything interesting that you find in the thread below, and ask questions about things others find! Over the next 3 weeks, we’ll post challenges and examples that we’ll eventually discuss in the Data Explorers Guild meeting. Want dev access? RSVP above and you’ll get it!

This month’s dataset is now live: Kiva Microloans data!

Kiva.org is an organization that allows people to lend money via the Internet to low-income entrepreneurs and students, and we’ve got a near-live dataset (complete up to 5/04/20) that details a variety of information about the microloans requested & funded on their platform.

To start you off, here’s a birds eye view of the total dollar amount raised by country. Drill in, Explore from here, or start fresh with a new explore.

Just cause I’m curious: Does the total $ amount by country match up like you’d expect to the # of loans? What’s the average loan amount by region?

PS: We’ll continue editing and updating the data model— So let us know if there are things you’d like to see added, and please share data below!

Sorry to have missed this. How do I get notified going forward? Thanks Izzy!

Hey Sue, you didn’t miss anything— the event isn’t until June 16th 🙂
And that’s a great point. I’ll make sure to reach out to folks that have attended previous ones to let them know about the next event.

You can also go to the DEG category page
and select “Watching first post” to be notified about new posts. See you on the 16th!

My bad - I thought it said 5/15. Thanks for the heads up. I’m setting my reminder now.

vfx1
Participant III

I filled the form few weeks back but didn’t get developer access. Could you pls check? Thanks.

I’ll check on this, thanks for flagging. Has anyone else had difficulty getting developer access? I haven’t seen any pull requests.

Those who did not have developer access (sorry!) should now have received an invitation to the explorersguild instance. Let me know if you’re still unable to access!

blue1
Participant III

Hi Izzy, I have completed the form twice, but have not received the email, nor can I access the dataset… my Discourse email is the same as my Looker email if that makes any difference.

You should be good to go now— It’s not instant upon completing the form, it takes a bit of time to capture new responses and set them up.

blue1
Participant III

Hi Izzy, the link “start fresh with a new explore” links to play.looker.com/embed/explore/kiva/loans while the link I received in the setup email links to explorersguild.cloud.looker.com/explore/kiva/loans. Only explorersguild.cloud.looker works for me, so could this be a mistake?

I love the instance you’ve built, it’s so much fun to play around! Looking forward to the event 🙂
Jasper

Fixed now 🙂

Excited to see everyone tomorrow! If you haven’t dived into the data yet or need some inspiration, here are some prompts and questions that might get you exploring and developing.
If you have an account already, visit explorersguild.looker.com to get started.
If you do not have an account, go to https://play.looker.com/embed/explore/kiva/loans

1. What country has the most loans?
  2. What city?
  3. Some loans don’t have city information… Are loans more likely to be funded if they include city information?
  4. Some loans are missing other info— Is there a specific thing that if missing, causes loans to not reach funding?
  5. What countries are least likely to result in a funded loan?
  6. Does gender of the borrower affect likelihood of loan to be funded?
  7. What about number of borrowers?
  8. What kinds of people are lending?
  9. What’s the most common reason for lending? What’s the least common?
  10. What kinds of loans have the highest average loan amount? The lowest?
  11. What Lender-Borrower country pairings have the highest average loan amount?

Open Ended

1. If you were a prospective borrower, what kinds of data points would help you decide what kind of loan to request/how to request it? What do they show?
  2. If you were a prospective lender, what might you want to know about the ecosystem in general before picking a loan to fund?
  3. What kinds of words in the description keep loans from getting funded? Why?
  4. Can you find a good signal for loan funding likelihood or loan amount?

If you’ve got other interesting questions, feel free to explore them or add them below!