What exactly is a scratch schema?

I saw this term “scratch schema” when learning about PDTs. I guess it would mean database schema design or something similar to that, but could anyone give the exact definition of “Scratch Schema”?
Thank you.

3 5 1,909
5 REPLIES 5

The scratch schema is a schema in your database that Looker uses for PDTs. It’s used to store the results of PDT queries as tables on that schema and will drop/rebuild those PDT’s from there when necessary.

Hi, 

How do you create a looker scratch - I did that but it not work.

thanks

Roista

Hi Rosita,

Your Database Administrator needs to create a scratch schema on the database you are connecting looker to. Please make sure to configure the schema with write permission for the Looker database user. 

This Doc may be helpful 🙂

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact looker support. Thanks!

Hi Ryo,

Thank you - I have now created a new dataset called Looker_scratch, however I receive this as an error:

Cannot find temp schema "Looker_Scratch" in database "rebilling_dataset" Dataset 'Looker_Scratch' not found or the service account does not have permissions to view it.

Thanks

Rosita

Hi Rosita,

One of two things could be occurring here:

1. The schema “Looker_Scratch” doesn’t exist in database “rebilling_dataset”
  2. The associated service account doesn’t have the right permissions

I’d make sure we have the right spelling for the schema, and also double check service account permissions too 🙂

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors