What does Pull & Merge other changes do?

Hi experts,

I feel that Pull and merge other changes are actually doing something else and breaking git.

I have three branches: main, staging and dev. I created staging and dev from main so they are equal at the beginning.

Here are the steps I took before the merge conflict show up:

Step 1: Created two feature branches, B1 and B2, from main;

Step 2: Worked on B1, created two new files F1 and F2, pushed to dev branch

Step 3: Worked on B2, modified existing file F7, pushed to dev and then staging and main branch, deleted B2

Step 4: Came back to B1, Looker asked me to “Pull and merge from other changes”, done, looks like every change from B2 was consumed

Step 5: Found something wrong in B1, modified F1, tried to push to dev branch and got the merge conflict

I checked in github and found that Step 4 seems to involve a Merge Conflict somehow automatically resolved by someone (because I’m sure I didn’t see or resolve it). I think this is the cause of the merge conflict I did see, but not 100% sure. Why did it happen, and why is there a first “invisible” merge conflict? Could it be that this Pull & Merge other changes actually reverted the change I made to F7 in Step 3? It’s a pity I deleted those two branches so kinda difficult to check.

0 1 614
1 REPLY 1

Sorry I made a mistake in the original post. I cannot edit so I’ll post here:

> I checked in github and found that Step 4 seems to involve a Merge Conflict somehow automatically resolved by someone (because I’m sure I didn’t see or resolve it). I think this is the cause of the merge conflict I did see, but not 100% sure.

This is 100% WRONG. But I still don’t know why I get a merge conflict in Step 5 😕

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors