#What is this Block and what does it tell me?
Segment has recently released its Sources product, allowing companies to quickly implement a full data warehouse strategy with minimal effort, pulling in data from many supported cloud applications and residing alongside their event data in a single location.
Within Segment Sources’ supported applications is Stripe, the developer friendly online payment gateway. For companies using Stripe, the data becomes the staple of their financial metrics, forecasts and finance operations.
Segment’s implementation of the Stripe ETL through sources is ideal (especially in conjunction with Looker) for two primary reasons, first the data is kept in very high normal form and lends itself to straightforward traditional analysis. And secondly, having event data alongside Stripe allows very quick end to end modeling of customer lifetime value tying data from the beginning of the business process to the customer’s ultimate purchase behavior.
This block is intended to help you get up and running with Stripe on Segment as quickly as possible.
#What this block contains
This block is intended to cover two broad use cases through the sub-bulleted screens and functions:
Aggregated KPIs at a glance for decision support
Executive Summary Dashboard
- See basic KPIs, like total gross charges, total refunds, total net charges and charge success rate this month
- See totals for items that should be top of mind, such as delinquent customers etc.
- See a time-series breakdown of successful vs failed or refunded charges by date
Finance Operations Dashboard
- Shows the metrics a finance operations team needs to keep top of mind. Failed charges, reasons for charge failure, delinquent customers etc.
- Time to fulfillment, and how that varies week over week
Lookup dashboards at an entity level to support Finance/Accounting/Customer Support workflows
- Customer’s attributes and history at a glance, including total net charges, outstanding balance customer etc.
- Customer’s invoice history and link to the invoice lookup dashboard
- See the total charges, amount paid, amount due, status and other invoice relevant details
- Get an itemized breakdown of charges and their respective statuses. Link out to an explore for access to any invoice field.
Please note that Source Blocks are only available to current and prospective customers. Please reach out to your assigned Looker Analyst for questions, assistance implementing this block, and access to the LookML code.
Included below are sample screenshots of a few out of the many reports / dashboards that can be created with this Block:
**Additional Note: This block can work with minimal adaptation with any ETL that treats the Stripe API data in strict normal form and little or no modification to the field names.
How to implement this block
The LookML for this block can be found in this Github repo. You can either download the entire block into your Looker application by following the directions outlined here, or selectively migrate pieces of the block by simply copying + pasting the block LookML into your Looker instance.
If you don’t have a Github account, we encourage you to create one for easy access to this block. If you don’t have access to the repo, or cannot make a Github account, please contact a Looker Analyst or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’d be happy to help.
How about a MRR calculation? 🙂
@russ, super exciting! Would love to see the LookML for this block - is there any timeline on when that might be available? 🙂
@Julian, thanks for your interest! The LookML is currently available for existing and prospective customers. Please reach out to your assigned Looker AM, Implementation Consultant, or Support Chat Analyst for access to the code 🙂
Thanks so much
@Dillon_Morrison, got it! 👍