Removing an always_filter

I have an always_filter in my explore that I want to remove. How does that change affect existing looks that utilize that filter? How can I check which looks are not using that filter in its default setting?

Solved Solved
0 7 420
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dawid
Participant V

All your content that uses it will have its SQL changed because this parameter is one component of building the query for the content.

If you run a simple SELECT * or SELECT COUNT(*) on your table with that filter or without, do you get different results? If yes, then you definitely need to be cautious.

Any Look that uses the Explore where always_filter is set, will have it in its query. It doesn’t mean that it changes the data returned from the table but that’s not possible to know

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Dawid
Participant V

All your content that uses it will have its SQL changed because this parameter is one component of building the query for the content.

If you run a simple SELECT * or SELECT COUNT(*) on your table with that filter or without, do you get different results? If yes, then you definitely need to be cautious.

Any Look that uses the Explore where always_filter is set, will have it in its query. It doesn’t mean that it changes the data returned from the table but that’s not possible to know

So if, in one of my looks, I am using the filter with a value that is something other than the default setting, that filter would not be preserved if I remove the filter as an always_filter?

Dawid
Participant V

No, filters are not “hardcoded” in your content. The underlying LookML is still used to generate an updated version of the SQL to generate your content

Thanks @Dawid. That makes sense. What about if I leave the filter as an always_filter, and just change the default value it’s set to? Would that override existing looks selections for that filter?

Dawid
Participant V

If the new default is different than the old one, and some content relies on that default value, you may also see some different results. 

Thanks @Dawid! I am wondering what happens if the new default is different than the old one, but some content relies on something other than the default value for the filter. Would my changes override those selections?

Dawid
Participant V

Yes, if your content relies on the default value then the query is going to change 

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors