Parametrised values not working as expected

Hi,

I’m trying to use parameters to switch between different columns in a visualisation. So the user can select measure `a`, `b` or `c` as desired.

I’ve created the parameters as required below (with aliases used for field labels/values):

parameter: new_parameter {
type: unquoted
allowed_value: {label: "a label"
value: "a"}
allowed_value: {label: "b label"
value: "b"}
allowed_value: {label: "c label"
value: "c"}
default_value: "a"
}

Then the associated measure:

measure: new measure {
type: sum
sql: ${TABLE}.{% parameter new_parameter %} ;;
}

But when I try and run these I get a message to the affect of “Name a not found inside of Table”. This is in spite of the measures used working fine in other contexts. Any ideas why this may be happening? Help is greatly appreciated!

Solved Solved
1 5 406
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, there’s another way of doing it but a bit more code, unfortunately..

measure: new_measure {
sql:
{% if new_parameter._parameter_value == "a" %}
${a}
{% elsif new_parameter._parameter_value == "b" %}
${b}
{% endif %} ;;
}

You’re losing the dynamic part because you can’t inject the name of the parameter, which means every time you add a new allowed_value, you have to remember to add another elsif..

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

It means that your table doesn’t have a column named “a”

Thanks for the reply @Dawid. To clarify, “a”, “b”, “c” are measures created in the same view where I’m creating the parameter. I’ve successfully used them in other explores/visuals, it is only in the parameter context they don’t work. Does this mean measures created in this way can’t be used in parameters?

But by using the ${TABLE} you’re referring directly to the database not your view. This 

${{% parameter new_parameter %}} 

won’t work.. I tried many times 😄 

OK, thanks for explaining @Dawid. Clearly confused myself reading the official docs. Last question; is there a way round this without the measure being in the table as opposed to just the view?

Yes, there’s another way of doing it but a bit more code, unfortunately..

measure: new_measure {
sql:
{% if new_parameter._parameter_value == "a" %}
${a}
{% elsif new_parameter._parameter_value == "b" %}
${b}
{% endif %} ;;
}

You’re losing the dynamic part because you can’t inject the name of the parameter, which means every time you add a new allowed_value, you have to remember to add another elsif..

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors