LoV of Dates, Conditional Filter

Hello everybody

I have a customer who extracts data at irregular intervals and stores it in our DWH.
Now I am looking for a possibility to show him a LoV of the available days in the reporting.
My wish would be:

Conditional Filter: latest_etl_rundate
Unless: Select different date from LoV

Getting the latest date is still easy:
select max(etl_valuation_date) from table

But how do I get into a LoV of available days?
If I format this as a date, no suggestion appears.
Unfortunately, if I format this as a string, no suggestion appears either.
And of course I don’t want to lose the functionality of a dimensiongroup (drill etc.).

Do you have solutions for “my” problem?

0 9 232
9 REPLIES 9

nobody has an idea or even a solution?

This might be embarrassing… but I can’t figure out what LoV stands for, even after some googling! I think I’m probably not alone in that, so maybe expanding that acronym will get people sharing ideas.

sandsp

List of Values - as in a list of values in a drop-down selection object. 🙂

Thanks 👍
In looker that are suggestions, sorry @izzymiller for confusion

any ideas?

There aren’t currently suggestions for date type fields. I think changing to a string ought to work, but it’s possible that the formatting just isn’t playing nice (since after all, they’re dates). Plus, you mentioned wanting to keep the drilling functionality.

I feel like I’m always full of very hacky ideas, but what if you did something like this:

dimension: etl_valuation_date {
type: date
sql: ${TABLE}.etl_valuation_date ;;
}

dimension: etl_valuation_date_as_string {
hidden: yes
type: string
sql: TO_CHAR SQL business here to get ${TABLE}.etl_valuation_date as a string: ;;
}

filter: available_dates {
type: string
suggest_dimension: etl_valuation_date_as_string
sql: {% condition %} ${etl_valuation_date} {% endcondition %}  (you may have to edit this to go from string --> Date again, using a DATE() function or similar)
}

Creating a hidden string version of the dates, and using that to feed an available date filter that applies it back to the original field. I just mocked it up, so there’s some SQL unknowns and I’m not sure if it will work, but I think it should achieve both suggestions & preserving standard drilling functionality. Let me know if this makes sense or not!

Curious if this worked? I feel like it was a pretty bad idea haha, but it would probably be useful to lots of folks to have a way to do limited date suggestions

Hi @izzymiller
sorry for my late response.

Your approach did the job.
I made some changes.

Since looker unfortunately can’t sort on a dimension in ascending or descending order, but only in ascending order, I created a new “hidden” dimension, where I calculate the delta between (sysdate-"lov-suggestion "date) and sort according to it.

Then I build a new dimension (like you) where I put the date as string and sort it by the sort_dimension.

So I have a suggestion sorted descending by date fields.

Yuck, but clever! Glad this worked for you, though it feels like something we could simplify in the product eventually.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors