LookML Filter Field does not filter null values

In my looker instance, there is a filter only field defined in the LookML (called “feedback_selection_filter”) that I am trying to use on my explore. The underlying non-filterable field is named “feedback_selection”

However, when I use the “feedback_selection_filter”, I don’t want to return records where the value is “No Feedback”. I set the filter on the explore so that the value  “is not null” and “is not equal to “No Feedback”, but I am still seeing results returned with “No Client-SKU Feedback” despite the filter saying otherwise.

One thing to note:

When the underlying “feedback_selection” field is null, there is a COALESCE function that treats null values as “No Client-SKU Feedback.” I think this is the reason as to why I am unable to get the filter version of the field to work. I am unsure how to fix this currently

Blurred out irrelevant information.

c4344831-72d2-4309-a9d0-0b503a1a4e6c.png
7f8d7abe-56e8-491b-8bcb-a9d734d20e85.png
0 3 1,627
3 REPLIES 3

Forgot to attach but this is how the dimension is defined:

2d5b7407-c8ae-40d8-a649-24a43b0e618a.png

That’s because you’re not using the filter anywhere. You created a filter field but where do you inject its value so that it’s part of SQL?

You can probably see the SQL tab that no WHERE clauses are applied beucase your filter field, even though it exists in the Explore, is not part of the query generation yet

It looks like the WHERE clause does generate the SQL, however, it seems like it’s not achieving the results I want

f1f6ca14-e3b7-4fc5-aac7-efbffd20bcca.png
Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors