Link not passing query parameter

Maikerusan
Participant I

I currently have a view that has a link that should pass an ID in as a query parameter to the next dashboard. Relevant parts of the definition of the view, field being used in the link, and link is as follows:

view: my_old_view {
dimension: id {
type: string
sql: ${TABLE}.id ;;
}

link: {
label: "Winners"
url: "/dashboards/analytics::my_new_dashboard?Drawing+ID={{ my_old_view.id | url_encode }}"
}
}
}

The new dashboard has a filter called “Drawing ID” that is applied to tiles within the dashboard but the query parameter doesn’t seem to getting passed through. The URL I would expect would be https://looker.instance.url/dashboards-next/analytics::my_new_dashboard?Drawing+ID=1234567890 where “1234567890” is the ID that I click on from the original dashboard. Instead, the URL looks like https://looker.instance.url/dashboards-next/analytics::my_new_dashboard?Drawing+ID= with no ID and I’m not sure why this is happening.

Solved Solved
0 5 662
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Maddie
Participant IV

Hi Maikerusan,

I think this can be solved if you make the following change:

}

url: "/dashboards/analytics::my_new_dashboard?Drawing+ID={{ value }}"
}
}
}

Let me know if it works!

Best,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Maddie
Participant IV

Hi Maikerusan,

I think this can be solved if you make the following change:

}

url: "/dashboards/analytics::my_new_dashboard?Drawing+ID={{ value }}"
}
}
}

Let me know if it works!

Best,

Maikerusan
Participant I

@Maddie That works perfectly thank you!! We have other looks that are passing in the view’s ID by doing something like “view_name.id” but I guess there is something else going on behind the scenes that may be allowing this work? I realize it’s hard to answer without being able to see everything but would you happen to have any idea  why using the “view_name.id” works in the other scenarios? Maybe because they are legacy looks from before newer versions of Looker or something like that?

Maddie
Participant IV

No problem! Glad it worked.

I am not sure, to be honest, it could also be because we need some other characters in there:

}

url: "/dashboards/analytics::my_new_dashboard?Drawing+ID={{ ['my_old_view.id'] | url_encode }}"
}
}
}

.. or it could be the new dashboard?

Let me know if this new solution above works!

Best,

Maikerusan
Participant I

Hmm. Seems to throw an error doing that. “Error processing liquid. undefined method `gsub' for 1000896353:Integer”. Almost certainly something I’m doing on my end that I can go through and research another time. But the previous solution is working so I’m all set on my end. Thank you!

Maddie
Participant IV

It could be something as basic as changing the type of your dimension to number based on that error. 

Glad it all worked out!

Best, 

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors