issue with field_filter extending an imported dashboard

dandoyle
Participant I

I am extending a dashboard from a remote imported project. I have the base dashboard and extended dashboard with the views from the imported project in a new model. I have done no other modifications to the base dashboard; I am testing extends before actually extending something in the dashboard. I get an error when I validate the lookml:

field_filter is using a field outside of the current model ({new model here}). The field "agg_paid_analytics.calendar_type_selector" may not be reachable.

This dashboard has no issues with the model from the imported project.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Solved Solved
4 7 1,142
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, I figured that out.

Basically, to fix broken imported dashboard you need to make sure that inside model-file you include all views and explores before the dashboards.

In my case, here is a part of my model file:

include: "//views/**/*.view.lkml"
include: "//explores/**/*.explore.lkml"
include: "//dashboards/**/*.dashboard.lookml"

Hope it’ll help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

I also just encountered this error. I imported a model / some views from one project into another and added a filter to a visualization based on one of the imported models. Works totally fine with a GUI-built dashboard but when I try to do this with LookML I get the following error: field_filter is using a field outside of the current model (orbit). The field "stargazer.starred_date" may not be reachable.

I’m getting the same issue. Did anyone work out what the cause was? The dashboard works fine as a standard GUI but gives that error when in LookML

Following up with this. I’ve also encountered the same problem with an imported dashboard. Anyone have any solutions?

Hi Everyone! 

Do your Dashboard level filters have a model parameter? Looker actually will not scope dashboard field filters to a model parameter. The explores used for these field filters must exist in every model the dashboard is included in. 

I hope that helps! 

elinvangbo
Participant I

I just found this topic and I’ve experienced the same issue. If you can’t use a model parameter in dashboard LookML, how have the rest of you worked around it? I’m trying to make a block that can be reused to that’s why I want to have the constant. 

This typically happens when you have multiple model files in a project. The lookML dashboard tiles or filters that reference an explore from another model file which can’t be accessed.

I think the 2 routes to take are:

1. Define explores that are used in a dashboard into the model file referenced in your lookml dashboard file. 
  2. Move all explores into a singular model file (may have to update the model parameter in lookML dashboards)

Ok, I figured that out.

Basically, to fix broken imported dashboard you need to make sure that inside model-file you include all views and explores before the dashboards.

In my case, here is a part of my model file:

include: "//views/**/*.view.lkml"
include: "//explores/**/*.explore.lkml"
include: "//dashboards/**/*.dashboard.lookml"

Hope it’ll help.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors