"include: references a project not in the manifest"

Hi there

I am doing a big cleanup in our Looker project. After a lot of deleting, I’m getting tons of errors with messages that are a variation of the following:

There was a problem building the derived table for view "abc". include: references a project 'views' not in the manifest for 'xyz'.

We always begin our include statements with “/views/...”. At no stage do we try reference a project called views.

Please advise on how to avoid these 60+ error messages? ?

Sam

6 7 5,634
7 REPLIES 7

This ended up solving itself! I returned to the branch 2 days later and validated LookML successfully. Still no idea why that error message was showing, for hours on end.

Is there any other solution than “wait 2 days”? Run into the same error.

Also I have the assumption only since the activation of the new LookML Runtime this error occurs.

If I set the option “new_lookml_runtime: no” in the manifest file this error(s) disappears. 

As a work around, I was able to do the following:

1. Set `new_lookml_runtime` to no, validate
  2. Set `new_lookml_runtime` to yes, validate

All errors went away after the above actions were performed.

For anyone Googling this after the fact, it seems that the cause is derived tables being "forgotten" by Looker when reorganizing the file structure. Thus, when it validates a view containing a DT it uses the previous structure to set it up.

None of the above solutions worked for me, though they all are essentially asking Looker to reconsider its relationships (which is why I think they worked for some people). In my case, I went directly to each view containing a DT and touched them (via commenting, spacing, whatever) to remind Looker that they exist. The errors went away immediately.

If the bug appears again, I will retest this hypothesis and (hopefully) confirm the findings here.

Edit: Confirmed.

Can confirm the solution of @Eureka_Honors  I also had to modify all affected files and then the errors went away. But that was a very tideous workaround....

I've encountered this issue when making changes to an Explore, such as completely removing a view from the include list (and from the joins). I've had some success by temporarily renaming the explore file and validating. That seems to trigger a different error, which I can then resolve by simply reverting the explore file to its original name.

Gerald1
Participant I

I had the same error occurring this morning. Deleted an include on one file and got 66 warnings during validation, despite the changes not affecting those derived tables. 

The problem eventually resolved itself when I exited and re-entered developer mode, but I spent a good amount of time fruitlessly trying to find the cause. 

This really needs to be looked into...

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors