How do you draw your Looker architecture?

Michaël_S
Participant I

Hello all,

I’m currently working on a project with connection on bigquery with (a lot) of tables.

When you’re confortable with the data, you do not need any schema or drawing to understand the dependencies, but I was wondering how do you handle this topic especially when you have new padawans coming in the crew. 

Do you create a document with schema, drawing or explanation directly in Looker ?

Thanks a lot

Solved Solved
0 3 901
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I saw your question earlier and then was just searching through the Looker marketplace and found a “LookML Diagram.” It appears to be an extension that generates ERD diagrams from your explores. 

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I saw your question earlier and then was just searching through the Looker marketplace and found a “LookML Diagram.” It appears to be an extension that generates ERD diagrams from your explores. 

Hope that helps!

Dawid
Participant V

I love diagrams 😄

When I set out on a path to simplify our LookML Data Model I knew I had to visualise it first.. it took few hours but it also allowed me to explain to others why simplification was needed

The top one was current at the time and at the bottom what I wanted to achieve. The bottom one actually has the same or more data but is modelled differently using extends and refinements as well.

bc07cd26-b420-4512-a194-1bae43296780.png

I used colours and shapes to have a logical model with relationships, and groups to designate different folders:

351781e8-07cd-480f-8208-3c4efd958e64.png

Ahh it was fun to build! 😄

Michaël_S
Participant I

Thanks both of you.

I agree, I think it’s really important to have from scratch a diag to understand the logic and dependencies…

I love Looker, but if you do not have from the beginning code best practices and clear document it can be a nightmare to understand ^^.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors