How do I give a user access to a specific explore?

Hi,

So I am a LookML developer and Im not that good yet with access. We have a lot of different explores which are generally not available to the users. Now I get the question if I can give one specific user access to two explores.

As far as I know the user first needs to be able to see explores. So I have to give him a permission set that allows him to see explores. Problem with that is that this user can now see all explores.

Is it best practice that I now need to give access grants to every explore and the two explores the user needs access to a different access grant that matches with a certain user attribute for this user?

0 3 991
3 REPLIES 3

I’d think that this is not possible, only if you have the explore in a separate model.

But I have an idea that I also will try to implement in my instance. Maybe with liquid parameters you could use the parameter “hidden: yes” for specific roles. This could be done with the sentence “_user_attributes['NAME_OF_YOUR_GROUP']”.

You should have in mind that the user will still be able to acces to other explores by URL, but at least the explore will be hidden in the menu 😉

IanT
Participant V

A user has one or many roles, a role is a combination of permissions+models.

So a user/group could have:

view access for modelA

explore access to modelB

dev Access to modelC.

You can use user attributes to control the access to EXplore or view. To do that, you need to place such an example of your code in the model file

explore: my_view_data_access_limitview {
access_filter: {
field: any_field_name
user_attribute: data_access_attribute
}}

data_access_attribute - an attribute that can be created in the Admin panel and assigned to the user in the User block of the Admin panel. When the user has assigned an attribute, he can see EXplore, if user doesn't have assigned attribute, he will receive an error on attempt to retrieve the data

Hope it helps. Good luck. 

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors