Go to LookML destination for extended dimension

Let’s say we have view A and view B. View B is an extension of view A

For reasons that probably aren’t worth the word count, we want to the user to make edits to fields in view A by just overriding them using view B. However, whenever we create a field in view B that has the same identifiers in view A, the Go to LookML link always points to view A, even if all of the parameters are defined in the view B. So essentially all of the details for the dimension are in view B, but to the end user, it would look like they’re actually looking at the dimensions as defined in view A, which would be misleading.

Is there a way for the end user to see that a dimension is actually an extended version that lives in View B rather than the original version that lives in View A?

1 4 247
4 REPLIES 4

I noticed the same thing. It links to the original even if you change the SQL parameter in an extenion even though the Name and SQL descriptions are correctly coming from an extension.

Definitely a bug!

@Dawid  Do you know if the behavior is the same using refinements instead of extends?

I have, if you overwrite SQL statement with a refinement the SQL section updates correctly but the link reference still points to the original dimension. I think when extensions and refinements were added, nobody thought about this contextual menu 😄

?

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors