Dynamic Drilldowns via Corresponding Dimension

Is there a way to dynamically change the drill field set attached to a simple count measure based on the dimension it’s being grouped by? In the below table, I’d like to be able to customize the set of drill fields attached to each distinct status to render a completely different table for each. I’ve noticed that I could use liquid parameters to create a list of different drill fields that the user could then choose from, but my primary use case for this functionality is for a situation where the distinct values the corresponding dimension could take on 50+ distinct values, making a list cumbersome.

219f2395-839d-476d-980e-5abf9938e862.png

Alternatively, I can create a distinct measure and a distinct drill field set per potential dimension value (e.g. count_missing, missing_drills, count_review, review_drills...) but then I lose the ability to sort because each measure is a distinct series in my final visualization. Is there a way to sort across measures automatically? Re-ordering the columns by hand wouldn’t be viable because again, the dimension can take on many many distinct values.

0 2 107
2 REPLIES 2

Dawid
Participant V

There’s no way since you could have large number of possible combinations here. What if you select two dimensions that would have different set of drill fields defined? It gets convoluted. I think if you really need different set of drill fields I would indeed go with creation of duplicated measures.

On a side note, I try to keep my drill fields fairly standardised and encourage people to click Explore from here on a drill table and add more information if they need to. Not something would work in all cases but it sets a precedent that due to software limitations, they just need to dig a bit deeper.

Thanks a ton for the reply @Dawid - seems reasonable to go the custom measure route. My output honestly looks pretty great doing it this way, with 1 exception - sorting! Is there any chance you have come across a good way to sort across different series / measures? I’ve tried some random things using table calculations but it all proved fruitless. 

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors