Creating a 'set' of pivots

bens1
Participant V

Hi there,

I have a dimension with values ( let’s say a,b,c,d,e). I have an ask from specific users to present them in very specific ways on the same viz on a pivot: first column would be the aggregate of the first three values (a or b or c should be included in that column or row’s results), then after that each individual value in their own columns/rows, then the next two values (d or e should be included in the column’s results), then individual columns for d and e. Has anyone done this kind of cohorting before? Any guidance would be majorly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0 4 2,158
4 REPLIES 4

IanT
Participant V

Now this might well be a poor way of doing this but my initial thinking is this:
Since you are displaying the same data in multiple buckets you will need to actually duplicate the data somehow. I would create a mapping table which would explode the data out. So value A is part of for example (value A, value A&B, value A&B&C&D&E), join into explore using the dimension value. Now pivot by the category. You would need to maintain this mapping table though.
I am sure someone will give you a way of fudging this using custom dimensions though.

bens1
Participant V

Ian, thanks for your help! Unfortunately, I think the nature of manual sorts like this is that it’s always going to be a maintenance task, so the mapping table is likely my best bet in the absence of something better. Cheers!

GenDemo
Participant V

I often need to do things like this.

You can either create new measures using filters, or use table calculations using pivot_where and/or pivot_index and/or index functions.

I am still trying to figure out the difference between pivot_index and index?
I am also trying to figure out how to work with multiple pivots at the same time.

You also could do this by grouping the pivoted variables on the pivot. That is an easier way to do it. However of the three vertical dots by the pivoted variable you want to group, and then click on Group.

Top Labels in this Space
Top Solution Authors