Question

Best way to use map layers in a project

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

At Holidu, we have our own definition of vacation areas in our Postgres database, using polygons, and they are updated quite frequently. 

So far I have managed to generate the .toposjon file, upload it to our files folders and use it for one model. But this approach is quite manual, and I would like to find a better way to do the following:

• use the map_layer from a URL in our drive or git repository that’s not public
    • according to help documents, the map layer can be a file or a URL. Given that our areas change frequently, I would like to have the URL option as I will automate this. But when I tried to use a URL from internet as in the example here, it didn’t work. Do I need to change anything in the settings for Looker to access external URLs?
  • use the same map_layer in each model
    • we have several models where this map_layer could be applied and instead of needing to add it in each model, I would like it to be available for the whole project. We are not using manifest files yet in our instance. Would this be an option? If so how? 

@Dawid I have seen you are quite active on this topic, so I hope it’s ok for me to tag you here. 

Thanks! 

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @LucianaPadua 

Totally okay to tag me :)

For the second one, what I did was the following:

1. Create a model called “map_layers”
  2. Include this model in other models

This way you’re only defining map layers once

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As for the first point, I tried to put one of my maps into Google Drive and made it public but in the console we’re getting an error:

Access to fetch at 'https://drive.google.com/file/d/<slug>/view?usp=sharing' from origin 'https://<name>.eu.looker.com' has been blocked by CORS policy: No 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' header is present on the requested resource. If an opaque response serves your needs, set the request's mode to 'no-cors' to fetch the resource with CORS disabled.

Then, I tried with a public gist: https://gist.github.com/moseleyi/c0f17fb580b5adbb73d2787d51f5b446 and I also got the same error, which means along the way the functionality must have been not looked at when changing CORS policy.

I created a ticket in Pendo for that: https://portal.feedback.us.pendo.io/app/#/case/169447?currentProductId=53ee6715-9dcb-471f-bd41-7846ac4d9e41

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @neubert.borges !

It’s perfectly okay to start new thread even if your question touches on the smiliar topic :)

As for your question, can you show us the code of the dimension from the line that throws errors. As you can see “regions” is not a correct map_layer_name to use in a dimension. There’s no such map built-in in Looker, unless you created it yourself.

The only available options out of the box are:

• countries
  • uk_postcode_areas
  • us_states
  • us_zipcode_tabulation_areas 
  • us_counties_fips 

Which means your dimension must have one of these values in map_layer_name parameter or your custom map must be defined in a model of your view

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Okay, if you created the map, you need to make sure it’s defined in the model where your explore is defined as well

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

It’s Dawid :)

And the explore you’re accessing is defined in the same model?

Is the view used in any other explores where the map layer isn’t defined? → this could also be a problem

Userlevel 1

Thanks a lot @Dawid very useful the trick about creating one model specific. I wish we could do this from manifest somehow, but I have not informed myself quite well on Manifest. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, I think the models make sense-ish. With models you can further split the map layers if necessary. You could have one huge model and then other models specific to continents, countries, or custom-made. For logical modelling it wouldn’t matter.

For physical modelling, it would give you a lot more clarity in the structure of folders and files and make it easier to find things.

Manifest is just a file that contains things that do not fit anywhere else and are not strictly coding blocks, like map_layer is.

Userlevel 1

great, I will implement your recommendation! 

Hello community.

Taking advantage of the post made by Luciana Padua, I would like to share a question with you. I'm starting my walk in the looker so I don't have much knowledge yet.

I'm making a dashboard using a map layer in the Developer module. I managed to get it to work. But when I go to validate the data to commit, Looker is returning the following error message:

No map layer named "regions" is defined. Must be one of "countries", "uk_postcode_areas", "us_counties_fips", "us_states", "us_zipcode_tabulation_areas"
foto_cle.view:253 FOTO_CLE_DASHBOARD:foto_cle

Sorry for the spelling errors. I don't speak English well and I'm using Google translate to write this message.

Thank you all for the attention.

Hi @neubert.borges !

It’s perfectly okay to start new thread even if your question touches on the smiliar topic :)

As for your question, can you show us the code of the dimension from the line that throws errors. As you can see “regions” is not a correct map_layer_name to use in a dimension. There’s no such map built-in in Looker, unless you created it yourself.

The only available options out of the box are:

• countries
  • uk_postcode_areas
  • us_states
  • us_zipcode_tabulation_areas 
  • us_counties_fips 

Which means your dimension must have one of these values in map_layer_name parameter or your custom map must be defined in a model of your view

Hi David, thank you very much for answering me.

In fact the map used does not exist in Looker. I created a map layer using a topojson file containing the states of Brazil.

I'll put the dimension code just below:

dimension: uf_main_account {
     type: string
     map_layer_name: regions
     sql: ${TABLE}.UF_CONTA_PRINCIPAL ;;

Thank you very much for the help.

Okay, if you created the map, you need to make sure it’s defined in the model where your explore is defined as well

I think I understand David.
I believe he is. I'll put the code here so you can have a look:

# Define the database connection to be used for this model.
connection: "test_looker"

# include all the views
include: "/views/**/*.view"

# Datagroups defines the caching policy for an Explore. to learn more,
# use the Quick Help panel on the right to see documentation.

datagroup: POC_EMBRATEL_FINAL_default_datagroup {
   # sql_trigger: SELECT MAX(id) FROM etl_log;;
   max_cache_age: "1 hour"
}

map_layer: regions {
   file: "/models/Maps/br_states.json"
   format: topojson
   label: "Regions"
   property_key: ""

Hi,

Is the view used in any other explores where the map layer isn’t defined? → this could also be a problem

Well remembered. I'll check and let you know.

Hi,

Well remembered. I'll check and let you know.

Thank you very much Dawid (sorry I misspelled your name. :)

Your tip from explore was right. I managed to solve the problem.

I found that the visualization was being used in a test explorer where the map layer was not defined.

Now there are no more warning messages.

Thanks a lot for the support. And I hope soon to have knowledge so I can do the same as you did for me for the other members of the community. :)