Warning: Running queries without a limit is not recommended. Only use this feature if you know for a fact that the query will not cause significant strain on the database. Calculate the possibility that these queries may be run by multiple users many times a day.
If you’re on Looker 5.6+ you’ll be able to import with a >5k limit using an api script in a Google Sheet. The below method will not work if you’re on version 5.6+.
###How do I do it?
These steps must be followed in exactly in order. Do not run the query until you’ve confirmed the public link does in fact run without a limit.
- Create a fresh query from the explore page, or explore a query from a Look. The limit will only be adjustable to a size above 5000 from the explore page.
- Add a large limit (if you want unlimited, add something arbitrarily large, i.e.
- In app queries will always have a max limit of 5000, no matter how what the Look is saved with.
Save the Look.
- Select Make Public from the gear dropdown in the upper right, check the box for Public Access and hit Save.
- The Public URLs should now have no limit applied.
- At this point the Look will default to a limit of 5000, while the public links will not.
On the arbitrarily large limit in step 2 - make sure it’s a limit that your database can accept. For example, some databases error out on a limit of 90 billion.