Question

Multiple Schedules

• 16 December 2016
  • 4 replies

#The Basics

As of Looker 4.6, users can create multiple schedules for a single dashboard or look. For example, a user could schedule a dashboard to be sent daily to a small team as an inline visualization, weekly to the broader team as a PDF and monthly to an S3 bucket to save a snapshot.

This feature is designed to allow one user to manage multiples schedules with different recipients, formats, timezones, etc… It can also be used in conjunction with filterable schedules, which will enable a user to maintain multiple schedules with different filter sets. So, for example, a user could create 10 schedules for one dashboard delivered to 10 different recipients each with a different filter applied.

When to Use Multiple Schedules

A common use case for multiple schedules is delivering results on different frequencies. For example, a user could schedule a report to deliver hourly to themselves and daily to their team. Another use case is delivering to different endpoints. For example, sending an inline table via email and also sending the results to a webhook or an S3 bucket.

#How It Works

1. To create a new schedule, select, “Create New Schedule” in the upper left of the scheduling modal:

1. You may also copy a schedule by selecting the copy icon:

1. After configuring the new schedule(s), select “Save All” to save changes.

Custom Applications

Have a great idea for ways that this feature can be used? Post details below to give ideas to others in the Looker community!

4 replies

Is it possible to see the full list of scheduled reports for Looks or Dashboards as an Admin? I’d like to be able to combine reports which send around the same time of day or consolidate the number of unique requests.

While similar functionality exists within the Admin tool to identify schedules, owners, and recipients, it’s not easy to consolidate them.

Hey Peter,

Thanks for reaching out! Sounds like you’d be interested in using i__looker, which is Looker’s metadata model and what the Admin Scheduler Panel is based on. Here are instructions on how to get to i__looker. More specifically, you could use i__looker’s scheduled_plan explore (by appending “/explore/i__looker/scheduled_plan” to the end of your instance name) in order to get more in-depth data on your scheduled jobs.

In the i__looker scheduled_plan explore, you’ll able to group by certain users, jobs, times, or any other dimension available in the explore and perform your metadata analysis.

Feel free to reach out on chat or visit help.looker.com if you have any questions about i__looker!

Best,

Elliot

Hey Elliot,

That definitely helps me find which schedules exist. I’m really hoping to be able to edit them all in the same place though. A potential solution which may help paint my picture: if signed in as an admin, if I were able to see all the schedules including the ones created by other members of our organization (and then edit them) that would be great for standardizing report timing/generation.

-Peter

Hi Peter,

I see, that makes sense. Currently, Admins do not have the ability to edit schedules from the Looker instance from a single page, but I would be happy to pass along your request to our Product Team!

Best,

Elliot