Looker API for lookml views

Hi,
I am looking for a Looker API to get views from model similar to /api/4.0/lookml_models/{lookml_model_name}/explores/{explore_name} for explores. Does such API endpoint exists or will I have to parse our lookml repository to get this information?

I would like to use information about views for gathering metadata about underling tables used by dashboards/looks. Having this metadata will allow us to better understand usage of data in our databases.

Solved Solved
1 1 1,367
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Dominik_Gmiterk,

The  /api/4.0/lookml_models/{lookml_model_name}/explores/{explore_name} endpoint would generally be one of my main suggestions to gather data on a given view via the API and parsing the response (e,g. what fields are included, what types of fields are defined in the view, and what is underlying sql for the fields). This can be seen in this example, where we use that endpoint to create a data dictionary (similar to our pre-built data dictionary extension).  

Parsing the view files using the Github API  or just parsing the text files would be another viable workaround. 

Is there a specific set of metadata you are looking for?

I would be more than happy to circulate this with our the rest of our team for you. 

Thanks,

Eric

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @Dominik_Gmiterk,

The  /api/4.0/lookml_models/{lookml_model_name}/explores/{explore_name} endpoint would generally be one of my main suggestions to gather data on a given view via the API and parsing the response (e,g. what fields are included, what types of fields are defined in the view, and what is underlying sql for the fields). This can be seen in this example, where we use that endpoint to create a data dictionary (similar to our pre-built data dictionary extension).  

Parsing the view files using the Github API  or just parsing the text files would be another viable workaround. 

Is there a specific set of metadata you are looking for?

I would be more than happy to circulate this with our the rest of our team for you. 

Thanks,

Eric