API project -- download dashboard as LookML, upload LookML as dashboard?

jdoer

Once I have the LookML, I’d tinker with it programmatically, and then upload it again.

Doable?

0 1 328
1 REPLY 1

Doable!

Our API doesn’t do file management, though— We leave that to git, so if you programmatically edit a project’s files outside of Looker, you have to commit them, push, and then hit the Deploy Webhook to fetch those updates into Looker.

You might want to take a look at Gazer. You can really easily download & upload dashboards using this tool, and it outputs a pretty neat json that you could probably edit programmatically easier than LookML (though there are some great parsers out there)

The Problem User Defined Content (Dashboards and Looks) are not easily portable across Looker instances, nor can they be backed up and restored to a known state easily. It is not easy to monitor content creation, user activity, etc. In particular, it is not easy to do these activities from scripts that can be run by an operations team. The Why Gazer is a command line tool that provides an interface to a Looker instance for the purpose of managing content, users, schedules, etc. It can be used i…