Connecting looker to mongo db cloud

• 3 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Hello,

Does looker has an out of the box connector to mongodb cloud? We have a mongodb cloud and were currently looking for a BI tool.

Thank you,

7 replies

Userlevel 2

You can’t connect looker directly to Mongo because Mongo doesn’t support SQL, and everything in Looker is built around SQL.

You can use our product Fivetran to replicate Mongo into a SQL data warehouse and then run Looker off that. If you don’t already have a data warehouse, it’s quite easy to set one up—there’s an “I don’t have a data warehouse” option in our onboarding flow that will launch a BigQuery warehouse for you.

Userlevel 1

Hi @sol,

Yes, there is definitely a way to utilize Looker with your MongoDB database. However, since Mongo is not a relational database and does not utilize sql, you will first need to import your MongoDB data into a relational, sql-based database. Fortunately, there’s a number of ways to do this, including the option mentioned by @George_Fraser. Another option I’ve seen used is importing MongoDB data into a PostgreSQL instance using a tool called MoSQL. Here are instructions to do so.

Hi Sol,

The Looker partner network is likely your best bet to get started on this. This page lists all of their tech partners, some of which can get your Mongo data to a SQL-based warehouse. These all support replicating support Mongo to a SQL data warehouse:

• Fivetran

• Stitch

• Alooma

• Matillion

• Xplenty

Wow. you guys are amazing. Glad there’s this community of helpful and great folks. Hopefully we can push our bi/analytics at this platform (management calls what to use 🙂 )

You can also utilize the MongoDb BI Connector https://www.mongodb.com/products/bi-connector

They claim a 30-day trail, but you can keep using the BI Connector after even if you don’t sign-up for enterprise (aka your a startup).

Depending on what you need to do with Mongo analytics, it might be worth some time to look at other analytics platforms that do natively support MongoDB. There are a few popping up, like Knowi and Slamdata. They eliminate the need to move your MongoDB data to a SQL store and the bottleneck that creates. I know that Knowi supports MongoDB Atlas (cloud), not sure about Slamdata.

It would be nice to avoid using the BI Connector in Looker but not sure how you can right now. I just wanted you to know there are alternatives out there in case that was a viable option for your project.

Userlevel 1

Some new news in Looker 6.0 in case you haven’t seen this! 😃