Sticky Getting Started

Migrating your old Discourse account

• 27 October 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
  • Community Admin
  • 1160 replies

This post only applies to users that were members of discourse.looker.com and are looking to log into the new community for the first time. New User? Go here.

So you’re an OG Looker Community member, looking to migrate your account from Discourse to the new community forums? Fantastic.

Follow these simple steps to claim your old account and keep all your posts and tenure. If you need help, please reach out to community@looker.com via email and we will assist.

There are two ways to do this:

I used Google Sign-in for discourse.looker.com, or the email address I used for Discourse is a Google account (ie: I use Gmail with it).

This applies even if you didn’t use Google Sign In on Discourse. For example, I signed in with izzy.miller@looker.com using email/password, but because that’s a Google Workspace account, I could follow the steps below. Prefer a video? Click here

1. Click “Login”

2. Click “Sign In with Google”, and select the account with the email you used for discourse.looker.com on the screen that follows.

3. You should be deposited at the home page, all logged into your old account— Same photo, same old posts, etc. Verify this by going to your Profile.
  4. If you did not get linked to your old account, and instead had to create a new username— Please complete this form to link your account.

I used a non-Google Account email to sign into discourse.looker.com.

Eventually, we will be moving all login to Sign In with Google for security reasons. For now, it’s easiest to follow the steps below. Prefer a video? Click here

1. Click “Login”
  1. Click “Forgot Password” and enter the email address you use for the Looker Community.

2. Check your email for the password reset message, and complete the steps there to reset your password.
  3. Upon resetting your password, you should be all logged in and ready to go!
  4. If you are not getting a password reset, it is likely because you are not using the proper email address. Complete the Sign In with Google flow and then complete this form to link your account.

See you out there! If you need more help, just reach out at community@looker.com.

8 replies

Userlevel 5

Nice easy migration, Izzy!

Userlevel 7
Badge

That is music to my ears, Ben! Glad to have you here. 

Userlevel 5

Good to be back!

Userlevel 3

Once logged in, is there any way to change the email address associated with the account?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Once logged in, is there any way to change the email address associated with the account?

@MikeD Working on a self-service way to do this, but for now feel free to send me a DM and I can modify.

Userlevel 3

@izzy I had a couple Discourse articles. What happened to those? Also, there were many other Discourse articles that I referenced often or commented on. 

It looks like I can sometimes find these by searching. Maybe it would be good to redirect to these new links from the old discourse.looker.com links.

Userlevel 7
Badge

@JeffH 100% of content has been migrated, and I think 99.9% should be visible already. There’s some that was moved to a category that’s hidden to be worked through manually cause there were some glitches.

I see your articles (linked below, and should be searchable too + accessible from your profile page). Let me know if you have specific articles in mind and I can check on them.

There’s some SEO migration magic going on so I’d expect google search results to be a little bit worse than usual for a spell, but we’re redirecting everything automagically so I’m hoping everything is still pretty easy to find. An incognito search for “Looker ERD generator” has your article as the top result :) 

Would love to hear if you have specific feedback I can address!

Userlevel 7
Badge

And a redirect example, for that ERD article:

https://discourse.looker.com/t/looker-erd-generator/14999

I have a behind-the-scenes view where the redirects don’t work quite the same, so I’d always appreciate advice on if the redirect flow is wacky for the end user. thanks!