? Introductions Thread

You will likely want to unsubscribe from this topic, unless you want to get a lot of emails! While we work on a better solution, make sure that after you post, you toggle the Subscribe button off, as it will automatically turn on after you post in the thread. You want the star to be white/empty (like in the screenshot below). 

11c019df-ed67-4dd7-bf2a-881be9cf70db.png

Hey Good Looker!

Welcome to the Looker Community :tada: :tada:  . Feels good to be home, right?

This thread is a space for you to share a little more about who you are and all the cool data-related things you are up to! Some questions you could answer to get started are below, but you’re welcome to add anything you’d like to your introduction:

• What is your name?
  • What is your job title and industry?
  • How long have you used Looker?
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head:
    • If SQL isn’t your thing: Column or Bar chart?
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with?
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…

If everyone does this, scrolling through this thread will literally be like scrolling through the entire Looker Community. How cool would that be?

(there is an old Intros post from the old community, that we will merge with this one!)

20 86 12.2K
86 REPLIES 86

I guess I’ll kick things off…

• What is your name? Izzy Miller
  • What is your job title and industry? Community Manager, and I work at Looker! 
  • How long have you used Looker? Almost 3 years, now… Not as long as many of you!
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? ?‍♂️ I wish I could say Leading… but I’m a trailer.
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I’m pretty darn good at SSO Embed / PBL troubleshooting.
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I am here at your service. Let me know if you need literally anything, and I’ll try to make it happen! Also, I can bend my right index finger back until it hits the top of my hand 😕

• What is your name? Jeffty Martinez
  • What is your job title and industry? Solutions Engineer here at Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? Just over 3 years now
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Leading, but Looker writes most of my SQL now tbh
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Shift + Click everything in Looker. Just kidding (but really do it), I’m pretty handy with LookML!
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I have many impressive “hidden” talents. Except I’m always trying to show them off so they’re not really hidden, or impressive come to think about it… well shoot

• What is your name? Matt Arout
  • What is your job title and industry?  Customer Advocacy at Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? about 2 years but only the last 3 months have I started building dashboards and not just using them. 
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? ?♂️ Neither, Oxford Comma 4 Life
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I am passionate about meeting Looker customers and learning about how Looker has helped their life and career! 
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Want to learn more about how to participate in the Looker Customer Advocacy Program reach out anytime! 

• What is your name? Sy Sussman
  • What is your job title and industry? Director of Customer Success Support at Brace.ai. We make software for mortgage servicers
  • How long have you used Looker? ~6 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? ?♂️ It has been forever since I’ve written a SQL query
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? N/A
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Looking forward to expanding my Looker skills

• What is your name? Nathaniel Thompson
  • What is your job title and industry? I’m an analyst in Looker’s Department of Customer Love (the folks there to answer your questions on chat!)
  • How long have you used Looker? It’ll be 2 years in a week from now!
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? ?♂️Trailing. What can I say, I love the sentence-ness of SQL. 
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I love helping people find ways to get their nice, modeled, true data out of Looker and into everyone’s hands!
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… My favorite nut is a pistachio and the best legume is the pea, don’t @me (or actually please do, I love helping with Looker!)

• What is your name? Sam Asher
  • What is your job title and industry? I’m the Education and Training Lead for Looker’s Department of Customer Love.
  • How long have you used Looker? A little over 4 years now.
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Trailing. Really, either is fine as long as newlines are involved...
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I’m much more of a generalist than an expert, but I particularly enjoy talking about Datagroups.
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I’m always down to chat about board games or Nintendo!

• What is your name? Oscar Lukersmith
  • What is your job title and industry? Analytics Engineer at SafetyCulture, 
  • How long have you used Looker? 3 years now
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? ?‍♂️ Trailing it looks nicer!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? The ol’ look and hook for hacky Sales Operations. Ask me more
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I love talking about and sharing music.

• What is your name? Brian Donaldson
  • What is your job title and industry? Sr. Manager, Development Engineering at Mirantis
  • How long have you used Looker? 4 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Trailing -- but I often use SQL generators 😉
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Data Warehouses/Lakes (Snowflake user)
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Looking to grow my DataViz skills and explore novel ways to grow Data Culture. I like to brainstorm while cycling. 🙂

• What is your name? Carrie Browde
  • What is your job title and industry? Looker Certification at Google!
  • How long have you used Looker? ~2 years, but have really been working on ramping up my Looker use/knowledge in the last couple of months
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :tophat:  I’m seconding @marout here: Oxford Comma 4 Life
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? My expertise is helping YOU showcase your Looker expertise through certification 😉 
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Before I started working at Looker, I was using data to make decisions about costume distribution and balloon inventory at a children’s entertainment company. I can still twist a balloon poodle in >8 seconds !

• What is your name? Molly Lippsett
  • What is your job title and industry? Technical Education Developer for the Department of Customer Love at Looker!
  • How long have you used Looker? just about 3 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Obnoxiously, I prefer trailing when writing SQL, but leading when reading it :shrug_tone2:
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Looker/Git integration is my jam 
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Also available to answer questions about hula hooping (and if you can’t do it, you’re just using the wrong size hoop, FYI)

• What is your name? Rajan Patel
  • What is your job title and industry? Sr. Manager, Business Intelligence, Software
  • How long have you used Looker? 4 Years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: ,Leading!!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Building Modern Data Stack & Data Viz
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Tesla ?, SpaceX ? & Elon Musk! 

• What is your name? Rebecca Wang
  • What is your job title and industry? Partner Enablement Lead @ Looker/Google
  • How long have you used Looker? Almost 3 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Proudly leading since 2011
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Training, enablement, and increasing adoption
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I have a toddler who shares my love of books, music, Nintendo, and LookML

• What is your name? Nahom Abegaze
  • What is your job title and industry? VP Sales; analytics/BI consulting
  • How long have you used Looker? 1 year
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: In English, please
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Automatic LookML Generation; 
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I’m a native Ethiopian, and I’ve and been in the U.S. for 22 years. I’m fluent in Amharic. I sincerely believe in the power of meditation and its capacity for enabling self-actualization.

Kyle_Webb
Participant II
  • What is your name? Kyle Webb
  • What is your job title and industry? Head of Analytics @ JobAdder (Recruitment SaaS platform)
  • How long have you used Looker? 1.5 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Trailing. Though clearly not an expert as I had to google this.
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Using user attributes as well as parameters to serve up different views of data on the same dashboard.
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I’m based in Sydney, Australia - would love to see if we’ve got any other Sydneysiders or Aussies here!

• What is your name? Local Area Network aka LAN 
  • What is your job title and industry? Analyst (aka I send emoji to you on chat) 
  • How long have you used Looker? from August 2019
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? I don’t often write SQL from scratch because I rely on an awesome platform called Looker. When I help a customer troubleshoot their syntax, then I’ll match their style! 
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I’d like to call myself “well-rounded” :wink: I have my brain and my whole team to help! 
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…: I am originally from Vietnam and currently working in Tokyo, Japan; so ask me anything about travel tips! :yum:

er1k
Participant V
  • What is your name? Erik Heintare
  • What is your job title and industry? Head of Analytics @ Bolt
  • How long have you used Looker? > 3 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Team leading (slipping sometimes with ad-hoc stuff)
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I’m really good at finding Looker bugs that cannot be repeated. :sweat_smile: (Hoping that I don’t need to help others with it :smile: )
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…: While I’m mostly here nagging about LookML dashboards(or other features) and how much better they could be, then I only do it, because I really like the product and want it to be better. :slight_smile:

• What is your name? Ernesto Ongaro
  • What is your job title and industry? Sales Engineer @ Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? 3.5 years, which in Looker years is decades 😉 
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: I switch back and forth, my long queries usually start as throw away queries that I later regret not styling better!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Maybe PDTs/NDTs, general modeling strategies
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I first saw Looker in 2015 when my (then future) sister in law showed me “how she gets answers at work without having to write SQL” - hooked ever since! 

• What is your name? Kabalan Gaspard
  • What is your job title and industry? Enterprise Customer Engineer
  • How long have you used Looker? 3 years and counting
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: I thought this was supposed to be a friendly community? Leading
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Retail ; Data Science / ML integration
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I uploaded an API key to Github within my first 2 weeks at Looker (thanks to our security team for catching it extremely fast) 

• What is your name? Jono Atkins
  • What is your job title and industry?Regional Sales Manager
  • How long have you used Looker? 3 weeks
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? 
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? N/A
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I’m new to Paymentsense and new to looker, so far all good 🙂

• What is your name? Doyle Baxter
  • What is your job title and industry? Product Manager @ religiously-affiliated non-profit. I manage our mobile app and e-commerce teams. 
  • How long have you used Looker? Just starting now.
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? I’ve never made a SQL query in my life! But given my love for aesthetics, I figure I’ll probably end up with trailing...
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? As I said above, this will be my first foray into any BI tool. I’m loosely familiar with MSFT’s PowerBI because I used to sell it as a component of IoT solutions. Any advice would be welcome!  
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I just made the switch from IoT technology sales to app and e-commerce product management at a non-profit. Any advice would be welcome!

Hello everyone! Very excited for this space.

• What is your name? Zach Michel
  • What is your job title and industry? Head of Success Engineering, Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? Since I joined back in 2014
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Leading for sure, how else do you comment out loads of test sql
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Multi instance workflows and complex analysis using Looker
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… The Customer Success Engineering team builds tools like Gazer and LAMS, I’d love to hear more from the community on open source tools that could improve their experience

• What is your name? Brian Stevenson
  • What is your job title and industry? Senior Instructional Designer at Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? I’ve been working with Looker for almost a year
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: That’s a very personal question...
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? For me, it’s about creating learning content that showcases Looker’s amazing features and value proposition.
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I own and regularly wear a knit Pikachu cap with its own pokeballs. 😉

• What is your name? Kevin Dunn
  • What is your job title and industry? Analyst, Customer Support, Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? I’ve been at Looker for about a year and a half
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Definitely leading - I’m surprised at the number of trailers here!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? If you’ve ever chatted with any of us support analysts, you’ve probably gathered that we know a bit about everything!

• What is your name? Alix Lelli
  • What is your job title and industry? Customer Success Manager
  • How long have you used Looker? 3.5 years!
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :shrug_tone1:IDK… let me go ask DCL!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Understanding different use-cases for Looker by working with customers of all sizes and in all industries! 
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I have 2 boxers and they love to frequent my video calls

• What is your name? Paola Renteria
  • What is your job title and industry? Product Analyst
  • How long have you used Looker? 4.5 years :scream:
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? LEADING!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? LookML 

• What is your name? Zara Hawkins (Née Wells… change is hard… still mostly known as Zara Wells!)
  • What is your job title and industry? Head of Data Culture and Transformation Programs
  • How long have you used Looker? Nearly 4 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: What is SQL?
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Building a ‘Data Culture’/ Transformation to a data-driven Org/ Change Management/ Looker adoption at scale
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… My dog, Monty was the first London Looker fur-employee. He prefers a leading comma. His fur-brother, Murphy is more of a trailer.

“Change is the only constant”, Heraclitus

• What is your name? Zara Hawkins (Née Wells… change is hard… still mostly known as Zara Wells!)
  • What is your job title and industry? Head of Data Culture and Transformation Programs
  • How long have you used Looker? Nearly 4 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: What is SQL?
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Building a ‘Data Culture’/ Transformation to a data-driven Org/ Change Management/ Looker adoption at scale
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… My dog, Monty was the first London Looker fur-employee. He prefers a leading comma. His fur-brother, Murphy is more of a trailer.

“Change is the only constant”, Heraclitus

• What is your name? Luka Fontanilla
  • What is your job title and industry? DCL @ Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? I’ve been working with Looker for 2 years now, so 2 years...which is wild to think of!
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Trailing...but sometimes leading 
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Definitely don’t consider myself an expert on anything but do love to dive in to git, extension framework, or sql based troubleshooting!
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Back in elementary school, once spent a full day fasting and secluded in the quiet recesses of my room so that I could read the last Harry Potter book from start to finish. 

• What is your name? Naveed Effendi
  • What is your job title and industry? Sales Manager/Account Executive at Future Model
  • How long have you used Looker? one week
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head:
    • If SQL isn’t your thing: Column or Bar chart? BIG COLUMN GUY
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Future Model

• What is your name?  Greg Sanders
  • What is your job title and industry? Customer Engineer @ Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? Since early 2018
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries?  Trailing
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I’m more of a jack of all trades and am now picking up JS, Python, API, and Extension Framework skills
  • Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include? Ask me about mountain biking 🙂

• What is your name? Peggy Beard
  • What is your job title and industry? Chat support in Looker’s Department of Customer Love
  • How long have you used Looker? I started at Looker in late 2017
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Who need newlines?
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Bring me your time/date quandaries, and ask me about query cacheing with datagroups
  • Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include I live at a plant nursery and the property has 20+ different fruit trees I’m continuing to learn about.

• What is your name? Pieter deVries
  • What is your job title and industry? DCL at Looker!
  • How long have you used Looker? Just over a year 🙂
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Trailing looks sexy but leading is better for commenting out!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Table Calcs!
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I have two cats, and they are cute.

• What is your name? Sidney Junior (aka Disney) 
  • What is your job title and industry? I’m an analyst in Looker’s Department of Customer Love 
  • How long have you used Looker? Coming up to 2 years now 
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Leading commas please! 
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Maps Maps Maps!!! :earth_americas:
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…:  I love everything related to nature, recently developing a passion for indoor plants 😄

• What is your name? Gary Wayne
  • What is your job title and industry? CEO Futuremodel.io
  • How long have you used Looker? 3.5 years!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? LookML Automation 
  •  

• What is your name? Peter Whitehead
  • What is your job title and industry? Sales Engineer at Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? I have worked at Looker for just about 3 years now, so 3 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Both, I make a lot of typos.
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I love me some good liquid syntax
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…  I love pizza.  I eat it.  I make it.  I even have a tattoo of it. 

• What is your name? My name is David Markowitz
  • What is your job title and industry?  Currently unemployed, but a full time student in the mean time looking to major in computer science!
  • How long have you used Looker?  I have used Looker for 2 years now, for both personal and professional use
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Leading always 😛
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with?  I would consider myself an expert on importing data into Looker, and I would love to help others do the same thing!
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… At some point in the future I would love to work at Looker as a Customer Support Analyst!  I interned at Looker in the Summer of 2019 and Look (see what I did there) forward to hopefully be working there again!

• What is your name? Yahima Fumero
  • What is your job title and industry? Data Solutions Architect / Software Services
  • How long have you used Looker? 3 years :heart_eyes:
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? always leading commas in my LookML SQL  :nerd:
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with?LookML, Admin and Looker Workshops

• What is your name? Ross Freeman
  • What is your job title and industry? Product Analytics @ Granular
  • How long have you used Looker? 8 months
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Leading :punch:
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Aggregating behavioral analytics in Looker 
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Married, 2 children, 2 dogs. Have enjoyed working from home but would enjoy an office visit or two… 

• What is your name? Mike Caputo
  • What is your job title and industry? BI Analyst, SaaS
  • How long have you used Looker? About a week
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Leading, of course
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Nothing yet