👋 Introductions Thread

• 27 October 2020
  • 46 replies

Show first post

46 replies

• What is your name? Zara Hawkins (Née Wells… change is hard… still mostly known as Zara Wells!)
  • What is your job title and industry? Head of Data Culture and Transformation Programs
  • How long have you used Looker? Nearly 4 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: What is SQL?
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Building a ‘Data Culture’/ Transformation to a data-driven Org/ Change Management/ Looker adoption at scale
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… My dog, Monty was the first London Looker fur-employee. He prefers a leading comma. His fur-brother, Murphy is more of a trailer.

“Change is the only constant”, Heraclitus

• What is your name? Luka Fontanilla
  • What is your job title and industry? DCL @ Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? I’ve been working with Looker for 2 years now, so 2 years...which is wild to think of!
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Trailing...but sometimes leading 
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Definitely don’t consider myself an expert on anything but do love to dive in to git, extension framework, or sql based troubleshooting!
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Back in elementary school, once spent a full day fasting and secluded in the quiet recesses of my room so that I could read the last Harry Potter book from start to finish. 
  • What is your name? Naveed Effendi
  • What is your job title and industry? Sales Manager/Account Executive at Future Model
  • How long have you used Looker? one week
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head:
    • If SQL isn’t your thing: Column or Bar chart? BIG COLUMN GUY
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Future Model
  • What is your name?  Greg Sanders
  • What is your job title and industry? Customer Engineer @ Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? Since early 2018
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries?  Trailing
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I’m more of a jack of all trades and am now picking up JS, Python, API, and Extension Framework skills
  • Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include? Ask me about mountain biking :)
Userlevel 1
  • What is your name? Peggy Beard
  • What is your job title and industry? Chat support in Looker’s Department of Customer Love
  • How long have you used Looker? I started at Looker in late 2017
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Who need newlines?
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Bring me your time/date quandaries, and ask me about query cacheing with datagroups
  • Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include I live at a plant nursery and the property has 20+ different fruit trees I’m continuing to learn about.
  • What is your name? Pieter deVries
  • What is your job title and industry? DCL at Looker!
  • How long have you used Looker? Just over a year :)
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Trailing looks sexy but leading is better for commenting out!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Table Calcs!
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… I have two cats, and they are cute.
  • What is your name? Sidney Junior (aka Disney) 
  • What is your job title and industry? I’m an analyst in Looker’s Department of Customer Love 
  • How long have you used Looker? Coming up to 2 years now 
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Leading commas please! 
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Maps Maps Maps!!! :earth_americas:
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…:  I love everything related to nature, recently developing a passion for indoor plants :D
  • What is your name? Gary Wayne
  • What is your job title and industry? CEO Futuremodel.io
  • How long have you used Looker? 3.5 years!
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? LookML Automation 
  •  
Userlevel 1
  • What is your name? Peter Whitehead
  • What is your job title and industry? Sales Engineer at Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? I have worked at Looker for just about 3 years now, so 3 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Both, I make a lot of typos.
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? I love me some good liquid syntax
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…  I love pizza.  I eat it.  I make it.  I even have a tattoo of it. 
  • What is your name? My name is David Markowitz
  • What is your job title and industry?  Currently unemployed, but a full time student in the mean time looking to major in computer science!
  • How long have you used Looker?  I have used Looker for 2 years now, for both personal and professional use
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Leading always :P
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with?  I would consider myself an expert on importing data into Looker, and I would love to help others do the same thing!
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… At some point in the future I would love to work at Looker as a Customer Support Analyst!  I interned at Looker in the Summer of 2019 and Look (see what I did there) forward to hopefully be working there again!
  • What is your name? Yahima Fumero
  • What is your job title and industry? Data Solutions Architect / Software Services
  • How long have you used Looker? 3 years :heart_eyes:
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? always leading commas in my LookML SQL  :nerd:
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with?LookML, Admin and Looker Workshops
  • What is your name? Ross Freeman
  • What is your job title and industry? Product Analytics @ Granular
  • How long have you used Looker? 8 months
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Leading :punch:
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Aggregating behavioral analytics in Looker 
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… Married, 2 children, 2 dogs. Have enjoyed working from home but would enjoy an office visit or two… 
  • What is your name? Mike Caputo
  • What is your job title and industry? BI Analyst, SaaS
  • How long have you used Looker? About a week
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: Leading, of course
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Nothing yet
  • What is your name? Diego Frade
  • What is your job title and industry? Data Analyst
  • How long have you used Looker? 2 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Leading :)
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? LookML
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…I am from Mexico :flag_mx:
Userlevel 2
  • What is your name? James Nestler
  • What is your job title and industry? Solutions Consultant @ Looker
  • How long have you used Looker? ~2 years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Philosophically, leading, because it’s the only right way to write SQL. In practice, trailing because I end up getting lazy. Looker generated SQL is better than mine anyway.
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Google… kidding. I dig working with Database-ey things. The hackier side of LookML is fun too. 
Userlevel 1
  • What is your name? Brian LaFaille
  • What is your job title and industry? Looker Lead - Customer Success Programs
  • How long have you used Looker? 7 years :astonished:
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? 100% Trailing -- it’s the only way my brain works. :joy:
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Using Looker for Customer Success & Account Management teams. 
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include… When the pandemic is over I’m planning to travel to at least two new countries the next year. It’s been far too long since we’ve all been able to travel! 

You will likely want to unsubscribe from this topic, unless you want to get a lot of emails! While we work on a better solution, make sure that after you post, you toggle the Subscribe button off, as it will automatically turn on after you post in the thread. You want the star to be white/empty (like in the screenshot below). 

Hey Good Looker!

Welcome to the Looker Community :tada: :tada:  . Feels good to be home, right?

This thread is a space for you to share a little more about who you are and all the cool data-related things you are up to! Some questions you could answer to get started are below, but you’re welcome to add anything you’d like to your introduction:

• What is your name?
  • What is your job title and industry?
  • How long have you used Looker?
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head:
    • If SQL isn’t your thing: Column or Bar chart?
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with?
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…

If everyone does this, scrolling through this thread will literally be like scrolling through the entire Looker Community. How cool would that be?

(there is an old Intros post from the old community, that we will merge with this one!

• What is your name? ABDALNASSER ALZAHRANI
  • What is your job title and industry? businessman
  • How long have you used Looker? 3years
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? Leading, of course
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Using Looker for Customer Success
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…I love people and wish the best for everyone

Hi I'm Chris

• What is your name? Blake Eitniear
  • What is your job title and industry? SIEM Analyst / Healthcare
  • How long have you used Looker? just over 24 hours
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head: gotta go with trailing,
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? : ZERO so far, but it’s early! 
  • What is your name?Rohit Cherian
  • What is your job title and industry?Retail
  • How long have you used Looker? 6months
  • Trailing or Leading commas in your SQL queries? :speaking_head:Do I have to answer..fine trailing.lol...have written a few LookML queries in my 6 months..looking to improve my skills
    • If SQL isn’t your thing: Column or Bar chart?
  • What’s the 1 Looker/Data related subject that you’d consider yourself an expert on and would love to help others with? Retail related Looker KPI’s and building Looks
  • (optional) Any other info about yourself that you’d like to include…