how to share a SQL query?

I’ve created a basic sql query which means I needed to use developer mode.

It’s “committed and pushed” with looker’s git web gui.

but nobody else on the team can access it, when I share the link.

I was expecting this to be a simple task!

1 5 433
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @DCsan,

Did you create the query in SQL runner? If so, if you run that query and copy the link to the url which contains the slug, you can share that with other Look users which they can run given they have the correct permissions.

Or, did you create the query as a derived table? If so, they would need to switch to the branch you created the code on. 

Thanks,

Eric

hiya - yes exactly the query was created with the sql runner. 

as mentioned above I have committed/pushed such changes, but others are unable to access the query from the shared link.

do I also need to merge into master somewhere in the looker git web UI?

to make this query more easily usable by others, is there a separate way to just add a query to a dashboard?

Isn’t this a basic feature, build and share a SQL query? I’m surprised it’s so much more complicated than writing real code.

Hi @DCsan, sql runner queries are not version controlled, so, pushing code to git should not impact it. Can the other users whom you shared the link with access sql runner on their own?

You would generally model out the LookML and save the query as a tile.

> sql runner queries are not version controlled, so, pushing code to git should not impact it. Can the other users whom you shared the link with access sql runner on their own?

yes they have been running a similar query before, although I can’t see their method of accessing exactly. Perhaps they were running it via a “tile”?

Can you point me how to make some LookML to call a query? I have been looking for “Looker share SQL query” and can’t really find specific relevant info that doesn’t seem overly complex for such a basic action.