Trying to combine hub & spoke (spoke project B imports hub project A) with multi-environment workflow to import spoke into production instance.

We would like to set up a multi-environment workflow for embedded analytics, with two Looker hosted instances: development and production. 

We also do internal business intelligence, and would like to reuse explores for internal and external embedded use. The external embedded versions of the explores should be the same as the internal versions, just with the addition of access_filters to support SSO embed. Thus, I thought we could do a hub & spoke layout to recycle the explore logic (where the spoke would refine the explores from the hub and add access_filters).

I thought we could do this setup: 

Development environment (company_development.looker.com)

• hub project - defines explores, which are useful for both internal business intelligence and external embedded reporting.
    • Used for internal BI in production mode of this environment. 
  • external_reporting_spoke_development project - remote imports hub project. Adds access_filters to explores.
    • Used for development and testing of embedded reporting in production mode of this environment. 
  • both projects 
    • Advanced deploy mode: off. Developers commit code to ‘main’ branch as release event. 

Production environment (company_production.looker.com)

• external_reporting_spoke_production project - uses same git repo as spoke project in the development environment. 
    • Advanced deploy mode: on. Can run webhook or API call to set the merge target to a specific feature branch after it has been developed and tested in “development” environment.
    • Used for embedding into production application. No development takes place in this environment.

The issue I am running into is configuring the git authentication for the external_reporting_spoke_production project in the Production environment in This step of remote project import setup.

In the external_reporting_spoke_production project, I’ve configured git repo with the same one as the external_reporting_spoke_development project.

Now on the “Import Credentials” page, I hit “Configure” next to the URL for hub project. When I did this step for external_reporting_spoke_development project, it gave me an SSH key to copy and save to hub project. But this time, that popup box is empty. 

Basically, I am trying to do this: 

• Project A (hub) remote imported into Project B (spoke_development)
  • Project B and project C (spoke_production) share a git repo. 
  • Therefore Project A must also be imported into Project C. 

Should this be possible? 

0 0 174
0 REPLIES 0